Texas Fishing Forum

Trailer cracked

Posted By: rongleaves

Trailer cracked - 05/26/16 01:15 PM

Was hoping for some direction here from some of you that are more experienced. My son and I were loading the boat last night after some fishing and when pulling the boat out heard some rubbing on the tire and started to investigate. I couldn't believe what I saw, 2/4 tubing completely split. We were able to get the boat home thankfully. Most places don't open until 9am and I'm gonna start calling to see about repair or new trailer. Thoughts or recommendations? I'm leaning towards buying a new trailer as I've seen some other rust areas and just don't trust the trailer.

Posted By: bronco71

Re: Trailer cracked - 05/26/16 02:11 PM

If it was me I would replace the trailer, there have been posts on here and on craigslist for used trailers.....I would definetly get a c channel trailer (used or new) instead of a tubing trailer since the tubing holds water and rusts from the inside where you don't see it till it is too late...

here is a post I found, there are several other individual trailers posted also.....

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/boa/5575983856.html

Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Trailer cracked - 05/26/16 02:16 PM

As soon as metal starts breaking or splitting from rust, the integrity of the entire trailer comes into question. There can be structural weakening inside the steel tubes that you can not see. I would replace it and if the trailer is going to see salt water, I would go with aluminum or galvanized.
Posted By: Freeman Clark

Re: Trailer cracked - 05/26/16 02:41 PM

Aluminum trailers are bad about cracking if used a lot.Everyone needs to deal with at least one.
Posted By: rongleaves

Re: Trailer cracked - 05/26/16 03:43 PM

Thanks guys, been calling this morning and have a few I'm going to look at this afternoon.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum