Texas Fishing Forum

How to use a rapala for sandbass...

Posted By: MrNovice

How to use a rapala for sandbass... - 03/05/16 05:27 PM

This is a newbie question, but being that I am I'm going to ask anyways...

A guy fishing up the bank from me (30 yds) was using a rapala to catch sandbass. There was another guy just next to me using one also and caught 3 times as many fish as I did, so I bought two of these lures today. The guy next to me was just throwing out and slowly reeling straight in, and the guy upsteam that caught double his limit was jerking it.

Is there a "best way" to use these? I've used little georges before and slabs and rattletraps, but these rapala seem to be a little specialized in that they only go certain depths. Any advice would be great!
Posted By: Sandog

Re: How to use a rapala for sandbass... - 03/05/16 05:49 PM

I like to crank about five or six times, stop, then repeat

Re: How to use a rapala for sandbass... - 03/05/16 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Sandog
I like to crank about five or six times, stop, then repeat

So the jerking thing is not neccessary? From what I understand, even the divers on these lures suspend themselves when not being pulled.
Posted By: Sandog

Re: How to use a rapala for sandbass... - 03/05/16 05:58 PM

The ones I fish with actually rise back up to the top if you stop long enough. I usually stop for just a second or two and a lot of fish will hit it while it is not moving.

Re: How to use a rapala for sandbass... - 03/05/16 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Sandog
The ones I fish with actually rise back up to the top if you stop long enough. I usually stop for just a second or two and a lot of fish will hit it while it is not moving.

Okay, thanks. I'm watching the videos and it seems to need no forward movement at all hardly. Just kind of levitates and twitches back and forth widely when pulled. Appreciate the help!
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: How to use a rapala for sandbass... - 03/06/16 08:11 AM

Try different speeds and tecnics... Fast... Slow... Jerks...?steady retrieve. Find a pattern and stick w/ it. I personally steady retrieve

Re: How to use a rapala for sandbass... - 03/06/16 11:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Ledeez
Try different speeds and tecnics... Fast... Slow... Jerks...?steady retrieve. Find a pattern and stick w/ it. I personally steady retrieve

Thank you, excellent advice!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum