Texas Fishing Forum

The perfect setup??

Posted By: SStohner

The perfect setup?? - 02/28/16 02:15 AM

My dad and I are in the middle of purchasing a brand new boat.

I have been reading about what we want to do as far as electronics.

Currently we have a lowrance gen 3 as our primary structure scanner, then up front we have a lowrance hds gen 1.

We currently have them just connected with the ethernet cable...

My main question is if you could have the perfect set up what would it be?
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: The perfect setup?? - 02/28/16 02:30 AM

Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP SI/GPS Combo 410030-1 at the console and a Helix 10 DI/GPS combo at the bow. Add a 360 Bow System and you have a super Clear, Wider, Brighter, Faster setup that is simply clearly better than the rest.

Posted By: SStohner

Re: The perfect setup?? - 02/28/16 02:37 AM

Does Lowrance offer something tha tis similar?

We just got the gen 3 and would rather keep that component of the system. We are also leaning towards the motorguide trolling motor. Our experience with the terrova has been subpar.
Posted By: Jig-N-Spoon

Re: The perfect setup?? - 03/17/16 01:43 AM

I'll let you Know if this works out as expected or not after i get it all installed and have time to evaluate it. I am in the process of setting up another boat and this is what I intend to do:

1. Twin HDS Gen 3 12's at console on a Bass Boat Technologies mount with a Vexilar flasher in between the graphs. Conventional transducers for the Gen 3's and Vexilar glassed into hull.
2. 3 D transducer and module
3. HDS Gen 3 9 on bow with another Vexilar flasher and Hydrowave H2
4. HDI 83/200 transducer on TM in a Transducer Shield Saver mount.
5. Point 1 GPS
6. All ethernet connected

We will see how it all turns out and I believe it will be the best this feeble mind can come up with.

'spoon
Posted By: voodew

Re: The perfect setup?? - 03/30/16 09:05 PM

If you don't mind me asking. Why independent flashers? There is a flasher feature built into the lowrance graphs. Another question would be what are the hertz of the flasher? Running 2 - 200 hertz transducers at the time will cause interference.

I run 2 HDS 9s on the console Gen 2 and Gen 3 and a HDS 7 Gen 2 non touch on the stern all networked together with 3D structure scan motorguide gateway with Xi5 trolling motor and an HDS 5 gen1 on the bow not networked with the other units

FYI the 3D structure scan will not work with gen 2 units - the original structure scan will work on touch units and nothing structure scan related will work with non touch units

I plan to swap the HDS 7 gen 2 to the bow - sell the HDS 5 and put a gen 2 touch on the stern but I will not network the the bow unit with the others. This way I can have the bow unit on 83 hertz and the stern on 200 hertz (I mainly fish from the stern)
Posted By: Cactusflyr

Re: The perfect setup?? - 03/30/16 10:51 PM

Sorry, couldn't resist...love this add, funny as hell.
Posted By: toofy

Re: The perfect setup?? - 04/01/16 12:03 AM

I'm also in the market for the "perfect" graph setup also, and following this closely.
Why does everyone put their smaller unit on the bow? I am thinking of putting a larger unit on the bow because it's farther away and more difficult to see. The console unit is right in your face.
Posted By: voodew

Re: The perfect setup?? - 04/01/16 12:59 AM

I have a smaller unit on the bow because I rarely fish from there - I chase the stripers and hybrids and fish mainly from the stern. Only time I use the bow is for crappie fishing or when chasing bait (it lets me know what's coming so I can be ready) And if we all had disposable incomes we would have 12" screens everywhere. As I have upgraded they have changed locations. The nice thing about the Ethernet connection graphs is once the cables are there you can move stuff where every you want (very easy if you have ram mounts)
Posted By: T Bird

Re: The perfect setup?? - 04/01/16 05:14 PM

12 touch front and back work very well for me.
Posted By: Cactusflyr

Re: The perfect setup?? - 04/07/16 05:05 PM

I run an ipad air 2 as my second screen at the helm, 9.7 inches....12" at the bow. Fished off the back for years to see the big screen, so there is a precedence for it depending on what and how your fish. Moved to the bow this year, love the extra room.
Posted By: GhostRider32

Re: The perfect setup?? - 04/11/16 04:03 PM

There's a lot of opinion on who makes the best finder available. Remember, some people will tell you what they believe to be the "best" and also remember, some of those people who speak the loudest about what equipment is the best are also trying to sell equipment......

If you want to network a Motorguide trolling motor then your only current option is Lowrance.

If you want to network a Minnkota trolling motor then you only current option is a Hummingbird.

If you don't care about networking a trolling motor then it really doesn't matter as much as to which brand you get as they are both very good and both brands have pros and cons..... Just pick the one you like because the reality is that there are far better fisherman than most here making a living using both brands.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum