Texas Fishing Forum

Temp problem on my HDS 9 touch

Posted By: HT66

Temp problem on my HDS 9 touch - 02/11/16 04:04 AM

My HDS 9 temp reading is not working properly, reads 52 at Squaw Ceeek? Any suggestions?
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Temp problem on my HDS 9 touch - 02/11/16 07:37 AM

Do you know where you are getting the temp data from? There is a source setting that you need to check if you have more than one device that can sense temperature, which we often do. Obviously, having the source set to a transducer epoxied into the bilge won't cut it. I think all of the LSS transducers can sense temp, so set it to that if you have one.
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: Temp problem on my HDS 9 touch - 02/11/16 04:57 PM

Assuming you have a temp enabled transducer and it is mounted on the transom or has a remote temp sensor, Go to Pages, Settings, Network, Data Sources. On the Temp tab touch toward the right side and select Scope/Local. Open the tab and select This Unit. Make sure it says Local as well.

Re: Temp problem on my HDS 9 touch - 02/14/16 02:25 AM

I'm looking on selection list and I can't find a LSS to choose?
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Temp problem on my HDS 9 touch - 02/14/16 04:47 AM

EXACTLY what transducer do you have? (Silver tag where you plug it into the graph). If it's a PDT-**** ducer then you're screwed and you can only get temp from it. It's a Lowrance glitch, there is a way around it but it requires pulling a pin from the plug. Check that tag and get back with us.

Re: Temp problem on my HDS 9 touch - 02/14/16 06:42 AM

HT66, do you have an LSS transducer? I'm guessing not since you say there isn't one to choose. (This is the one for side-scan and downscan. It looks more like a tamale than a "puck".) Grout-scout: Don't LSS1 and LSS2 transducers have temp capability? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Please elaborate on the Lowrance glitch or refer me to a thread as I was not aware of that one. Thanks!

Re: Temp problem on my HDS 9 touch - 02/15/16 01:20 AM

Yes I have the LSS transducer, have had the unit about 6 months and evidently I somehow got setting changed. I have the 2 transducers that came with unit one in the hull and the LSS.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Temp problem on my HDS 9 touch - 02/15/16 01:34 AM

Flippin, it seems that when you have Touch graphs and the PDT (shoot through with built in temp probe) the graph resorts to only using the sonars temp. The graph will not allow you to choose the lss' temp. When it was first discovered and brought to Lowrances attention they said they did it to "simplify installation". Others just think they didn't catch it during the programming. Now, if people actually knew what in the hell they were buying/installing then nobody in their right mind would put a shoot through the hull puck with the temp probe in a bilge application. Problem is sometimes stores only have those and people don't want to wait. This particular puck is really made for the trolling motor, not as a shoot through. But yes the LSS does indeed have temp; but only when the sonar doesn't.

I'll have to shoot you a PM on where I get my info, if I write the name it gets deleted.

Something that drives me nuts and doesn't pertain to this thread is.... When will people learn what the following really mean: a shoot through the hull or a through the hull. Big difference and bassboat guys always say it wrong.

OP, you still did not mention what tag you have on the graph.

Re: Temp problem on my HDS 9 touch - 02/15/16 08:45 AM

Thanks grout-scout. Your explanation is very clear. Correct on how temp-enabled pucks can end up in a bilge. Very funny that Lowrance got caught with a bug and in response offered such a lame excuse! BTW, my older boat (a Stratos 201 Pro XL) actually has a through-hull transducer. There's a true hole in the hull; the transducer is beveled to fit is tightly with a locking ring inside the hull to secure it. My newer boat uses a puck to shoot through the hull. On my rig, temperature is via NEMA 2000 using a dedicated probe through-mounted at the transom step.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum