Texas Fishing Forum

Do you leave your electronics on the boat?

Posted By: HaulinBass02

Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/05/16 02:47 PM

I'm about to install my new-to-me HB 998c SI on a ram mount next to the console. My old HB Matrix unit could be removed and put in the house when I walked away from the boat. The 998 doesn't appear to be as simple to disconnect and take inside. Do you all leave your electronics on the boat? Mine will be under cover but it still makes me nervous, especially when travelling without the cover on if and when I stop somewhere for breakfast, gas etc.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/05/16 02:53 PM

Mine stay on the boat .... I use these, they work great. It makes it harder and more time consuming to steal but if they really wanted it they could take it.

http://durasafelocks.com/shop/electronics-locks/e-lock/
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/05/16 02:58 PM

No. But my rig is parked not in a garage but under a carport and covered.
I'm just not that trusting.... electronics is a LOT of $$$$
God Bless
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/05/16 03:14 PM

I don't worry about it. Mine are mounted without any kind of quick release mounts. Mine would be a bitch to steal, I've installed the locks on the unit screws, if they do steal it, they will have to take the mounts with it. That's what insurance is for.
Posted By: fishinman

Re: Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/05/16 03:43 PM

No...I don't leave'em on...just a matter of preference....
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/05/16 03:54 PM

My HB 1198 is built into the dash. It would take a lot of work to get it out (I know because when I had to take it out for repair it was a bi**h to remove). The graph I have on the front I take off every time but it only takes maybe a minute to unplug and take off.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/05/16 03:59 PM

Mine are flush mounted,so yes. Last boat had external mounts and I took them off.
Posted By: ring fry

Re: Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/05/16 04:02 PM

My Garmins have the quick disconnect, so it takes less than 30 seconds to remove all three. I keep them in Crown bags in my truck.

SE Kansas grass grower
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/05/16 04:33 PM

The 998 is not that hard to remove, I would leave mine on the gimbal bracket and loosen the ram knob and unscrew the cable collector and done, takes less than 2 minutes
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/05/16 04:41 PM

I remove all, I Pilot included, all tackle also.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/05/16 08:22 PM

No!!! Mine come off every time I put boat on trailer. Yes, I have insurance. Still take them off. More damage done when thieves steal things. They'll break stuff to get it. I have Ballzout mount on front, big RAM at console. Cable collectors on both. Takes 2-3 minutes to put em on or take em off. If mine is parked I just don't want to tempt a thief. That way mine are under lock & key unless in use. Less vibration on units also during road travel. Common sense for less wear & tear. RAM mounts also don't ever wear out either.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/05/16 08:58 PM

mine stay on when stored at home but come off if I stop at a store or at a hotel.
Posted By: HaulinBass02

Re: Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/06/16 01:21 AM

Well it looks like I'll just do like normal and take them all off and store in truck when not in use. I didn't know how easy it is (or isn't) to take the 989 cables off. But better to take the time than have to buy another one if it gets gotten.
Posted By: RHP

Re: Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/06/16 02:58 AM

I never leave anything of value in or on my boat or my truck.
Posted By: Bruce Bullard

Re: Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/06/16 07:28 AM

Too much money sitting there for theft and I may be wrong but inside storage has to be better than an uncontrollable environment on electronics.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/06/16 11:40 AM

I will leave electronics in place when I feel the risk is low to reasonable. Mind you that's with a thru-bolted RAM base & four durasafe locks per RAM-mounted unit. The boat has a vibration alarm as well.

Even 3 durasafe locks on a RAM-mounted unit has a walk-away gap: simply unbolt gimbal from top plate. I thru-drilled an extra gimball-plate hole and added another durasafe lock there to make that option more difficult.

Re: Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/06/16 11:43 AM

Even if you have inside storage or a garage, do you really want to leave your electronics on the boat while you travel to your fishing spot?
Not this one, and no at home. Take them off and in the house.
JMO
God Bless
Lee
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/06/16 11:56 AM

Lee, I have one unit just above the steering wheel on a BBT dash panel/bracket, so that unit is well-shielded by the console. The front unit on RAM can be folded flat onto the carpeted deck face down to a very low profile. Being at the bow, it's also shielded by my tall Suburban. The unit beside the console can be swung in tight to the rear area of the console reducing exposure to damage. The boat cover will fit then also if I choose to use it.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/06/16 09:35 PM

I never take anything off the boat but I park in a boat storage that is locked at my house. I have heard of some trolling motors catching on fire while the boat it stored and the trolling motor stays plugged in. I unplug the power cord only.
Posted By: Cactusflyr

Re: Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/08/16 08:53 PM

nope...in a tupperware box and inside the house.
Posted By: skeeterbugzx300

Re: Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/08/16 09:22 PM

i always take mine off, i saw where someone over in Louisiana just had a couple units stole off there boat that was parked at the house, one unit was a lowrance hds 10
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/08/16 09:46 PM

I only leave mine on the boat when I can see them. And I'm prety good shot with my .380 up to about 20 yrds.. slinger
Posted By: CDF

Re: Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/15/16 07:45 PM

If it's not flush mounted and out of sight it should be removed or some lowlife will remove it for you
Posted By: Rickmb

Re: Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/17/16 03:18 AM

My boat is garaged. I leave then on all of the time. I have the durasafe locks and the gimbals are bolted down. They would be easier to steal out of the boat and in the truck or in the garage.
Possible to steal? Sure, anything can be stolen with time and determination but I have a deterrent to all but the most serious of thieves.
If they are stolen I have replacement value so I can get the latest version.
Posted By: tech

Re: Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/17/16 10:27 PM

do you think heat to cold, humidity and moisture cause problems over the long haul? I know they are waterproof for the most part.

Re: Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/18/16 08:49 AM

Love to have a garage to hold mine but, that ain't gonna happen so, since it's parked under cover and under a carport....all my electronics come off !!
Anything can be stolen anywhere/anytime....but I'm not going to provide the incentive even though yes, I have insurance with Bob @ WW Marine.
These things are just too much money and trust me, the 'druggies' know what things will get them the most $$ ...
Hate that...even out here in the country, thus.....motion activated sensors lights/etc and like some one on here said:

or

Either way, you get the message !!
God Bless (and he forgives - I do not!)
Lee
Posted By: wacopops

Re: Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/18/16 03:27 PM

Several yrs back had all my stuff stolen out of boat at teledobend. After purchased a driveway alarm, mount detector somewhere around boat and take receiver with me, no problem since.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/20/16 12:49 PM

Most of the time. Boat stays in garage. When making long road trips, I take them off so a rock don't fly up and hit a unit and ruin it.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/20/16 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: tech
do you think heat to cold, humidity and moisture cause problems over the long haul? I know they are waterproof for the most part.

I don't tink it causes any issues. I leave mine mounted sometimes, and if I remove them they go in a storage box that experiences the same fluctuations. Now, I do remove them and put them in my truck when towing in a rain.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/28/16 03:32 AM

Only when my boat cant be locked up.
Posted By: Mo

Re: Do you leave your electronics on the boat? - 02/29/16 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: RHP
I never leave anything of value in or on my boat or my truck.

good idea.

Mo
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum