Texas Fishing Forum

Lowrance Upgrade Questions

Posted By: Klinger

Lowrance Upgrade Questions - 01/19/16 10:40 PM

I am looking to upgrade my console electronics from an Elite 5 HDI to a HDS 7 or 9 Gen 2 touch. I expect to move the Elite to the bow for some time until I get a second HDS unit I can network. A few questions though if anyone has some knowledge on it, I would sure be grateful for the feedback.

1. Is there a functionality difference between the 7 and 9? (processing speed, response time, etc?)
2. Can I use the HDI transducer I already have mounted?
3. Will my power cord remain the same?
Both are blue connectors and appear they will transfer which would make for an easy install if all I needed then was the LSS transducer. Which brings on my next questions:

4. My understanding is the LSS 2 transducer plugs directly into the unit. So the module box is not needed?
5. Is there a benefit to having the module box at this point?

Thanks in advance for any insight on this.
Posted By: javelin150

Re: Lowrance Upgrade Questions - 01/19/16 11:46 PM

1. No difference in processing power.
2. Yes, you just need to select the hdi transducer from the sonar menu settings
3. Same power cord
4. Yes, Lss-2 transducer will plug directly into the back of any hds touch unit.
5. Not really.

The hds 9 and 12 will have one more ethernet port than the 7 which will allow you to network another ethernet capable Lowrance.

You can't network a elite 5 to any hds due to the 5 not having a nema or ethernet network

Re: Lowrance Upgrade Questions - 01/19/16 11:52 PM

Javelin, Thanks for all the answers. Helps make the decision to pull the trigger that much easier. I knew about the inability to network the Elites when I got it it. Wish I had spent the extra money at the time and gotten the HDS. Short sighted on my part. Do you know if all generation HDS' networkable? Or if I got a Gen 2 would I still need to network with the same or newer Gen?
Posted By: javelin150

Re: Lowrance Upgrade Questions - 01/20/16 12:04 AM

All hds series have at least 1 ethernet port.

You will gain certain features by networking with another Gen 2 ir higher though (navionics map sharing or the ability to use 1 map card for both graphs at the same time)
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Lowrance Upgrade Questions - 01/20/16 03:37 AM

There are some killer deals on gen2's right now. Last time I posted the places that are the cheapest my post got deleted, so if you'd like to know shoot me a pm and I'll tell you 3 places to check.
Posted By: jfdawson

Re: Lowrance Upgrade Questions - 01/20/16 09:23 PM

one thing to add... it's my understanding that you if you plug in the HDI and LSS2 Transducers into the same unit, the HDI will only do Sonar. I might be wrong on that, but something to note.

Re: Lowrance Upgrade Questions - 01/23/16 04:16 AM

Thanks guys. New unit is on its way. Hoping to have it in the boat for next weekend.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Lowrance Upgrade Questions - 01/27/16 11:05 AM

In addition, HDS 9 and 12 units have an additional card reader.
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Lowrance Upgrade Questions - 01/27/16 10:15 PM

Contact my good friend Justin. He will get you taken care of on any Lowrance products.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...00#Post11374400
Posted By: OkieBob

Re: Lowrance Upgrade Questions - 01/29/16 12:14 PM

Klinger, first, I love your Lund! I have one too!
One thing you need to consider is the Point One gps antenna and it only connects with NEMA network. Bite the bullet and get the Nema starter kit from David and network both units with it. You'll be glad you did.

Re: Lowrance Upgrade Questions - 01/30/16 05:12 AM

Thanks Okie. I absolutely love my boat. I took a long time looking. I held on to the old boat until it was beyond use and my wife named it "[censored] boat". When this one came home she said "That's pretty" so we named it the "Pretty Crappie". I think I kicked tires at so many different boat places people were done with seeing me. In the end it was an article about the plant in NY, the tons of good feedback I read on forums, and the way the boats are built that pushed me over the edge. Saw a Youtube video recently about the plant and how they are built. Pretty cool to see. Far more hand built than I realized when I purchased it.

I decided to start out with the 7" Gen 2 touch. I figure I will use that for a long while and then move it to the bow and get a second HDS. I figured I would network them at that point. Does the NEMA work for both the HDS and Elite models. I didn't realize they were at all compatible. The NEMA stuff is a bit of a mystery to me. Truthfully, I thought it was just for connecting to your motor.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum