Texas Fishing Forum

HDS-12 installed in a slip-no boat

Posted By: CollinCountyCab

HDS-12 installed in a slip-no boat - 12/06/15 03:00 PM

Would I be "crazy" to install a HDS-12 in my boat slip? I'm going to brush it out but would love to have an underwater view of what's happening during my fishing time? My experience with the units is one time with a guide...he had a HDS-10 on his boat and could tell me right before a hybrid was going to bite my bait. I was HIGHLY impressed with the capability of the electronics. All the high dollar equipment is going to make the fish bite but I sure would like to know if anything was swimming around my dock prior to dropping a rod in.

My idea is to mount the transducer to a floating "something" so i could move it from one end of dock to the other. Will it work?

Thanks in advance!!
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: HDS-12 installed in a slip-no boat - 12/06/15 04:06 PM

It will work fine; but so would a $300 unit.
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: HDS-12 installed in a slip-no boat - 12/06/15 05:58 PM

Lowrance elite 4hdi on sale at academy for $199.
Posted By: shadboy

Re: HDS-12 installed in a slip-no boat - 12/06/15 06:50 PM

CCC,

Get a side scan, make a contraption so you can move it along the slip then see if the fish are in your neighbors slips. grin
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: HDS-12 installed in a slip-no boat - 12/07/15 03:21 AM

Would be major overkill if you are just checking your boat slip. How deep is the water at your slip? The down signal is in the shape of a cone and the diameter of the cone's viewing area is limited by the depth of the water. You are paying a lot of money just for the screen size on the HDS-12. If you simply want to check the water for fish, you could go with a much smaller and cheaper unit and get the same results. You can even get a transducer that you put on a rod and can cast it where you want to check and use a smart phone as your screen. Assuming the water is fairly shallow, there are cameras out there that you could lower and actually see what is down there.
Posted By: mbsfish

Re: HDS-12 installed in a slip-no boat - 12/08/15 05:51 PM

I would take a look at what ice fisherman use. That is essentially the same type of fishing you are doing.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: HDS-12 installed in a slip-no boat - 12/08/15 08:55 PM

The bobber type wireless transducers would be a good choice for that application.
Vexilar Sonarphone
Deeper
Signstex
Lucky
FishHunter

there are other versions too.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum