Texas Fishing Forum

Graph gimbal locks?

Posted By: JayRBV

Graph gimbal locks? - 10/29/15 10:42 PM

Boat sits in my driveway. It's not like I live in Furgeson or E. ST Louis.....
But I'm not inclined to become a victim of target of opportunity.
So eacht ime I fish my $1700+ worth of electronics come off the boat. I know that's putting undue stress on electrical connections. Yeah, the best thing would be move the three collector HDs out of the garage and put the boat in there. NOT HAPPENING!
It's also just a pain in the boat, or butt, putting them on and off every time.
They're mounted on the, come with brackets, securely bolted. But those gimbal knobs.
Thought about replacing with bolts with locktite. But that's defeatable with basic tools.
I looked at the durasafe locks and they just look horrible.
http://durasafelocks.com/shop/
There's also the ram pin locks. They look much better.
http://www.rammount.com/products/security/pinlock
What's everybody else using that's in a similar situation??
Posted By: Tommie

Re: Graph gimbal locks? - 10/30/15 01:02 AM

Just my 2cents worth. If your boat is outside and the bad guys or gals want your electronics bad enough they will get them. If it's not locked up inside out of site....take them off....or be sure your insurance is paid up.
Posted By: JayRBV

Re: Graph gimbal locks? - 10/30/15 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Tommie
Just my 2cents worth. If your boat is outside and the bad guys or gals want your electronics bad enough they will get them. If it's not locked up inside out of site....take them off....or be sure your insurance is paid up.

I'm more than aware of the whole "locks are for honest people."
Thanks for chiming in....

de
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Graph gimbal locks? - 10/30/15 02:14 AM

I won't even leave mine on if I stop to eat after a trip. Both FFs come off and go into the Pelican case and it goes on the back floorboard of the truck. Same with rod & reels.
Posted By: fordnut

Re: Graph gimbal locks? - 10/30/15 03:25 PM

Put one of these in. Out of sight out of mind.

Posted By: toledo DandR

Re: Graph gimbal locks? - 11/09/15 03:12 AM

I use durasafelocks just to keep honest people honest.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Graph gimbal locks? - 11/09/15 11:34 AM

I take mine off so they don't get stolen. No lock will prevent someone that really wants them from stealing them.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Graph gimbal locks? - 11/09/15 11:35 AM

Originally Posted By: JayRBV
Originally Posted By: Tommie

I'm more than aware of the whole "locks are for honest people."
Thanks for chiming in....

de

If you are aware, then why are you buying locks?
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Graph gimbal locks? - 11/09/15 10:03 PM

I remove mine too, and I have zero worries about mine being stolen at home. Even though they are weatherproof, keeping them out of the weather will help with the seals and such, and they will last longer. My last unit LMS522c was left on the boat in the weather and the seals gave up after two years. It's replacement is going on 4yrs now and still working fine. I wouldn't/don't worry about stress on the connectors, just use a little light oil on the outside of the connectors once a year or so and they are easy to remove/replace.
Posted By: ring fry

Re: Graph gimbal locks? - 11/10/15 12:11 PM

Mine is in a carport behind my garage and I have to remove three units and install three units every time I go out. I have switched to Garmin and the whole process of installing or removing takes about a minute and a half with the new quick release mounting brackets.

Even if it was a pita, I would still remove them each time.

SE Kansas grass grower
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum