Texas Fishing Forum

Sonar upgrade

Posted By: Bois d'arc

Sonar upgrade - 10/17/15 12:42 PM

Looking for some information and/or observations on upgrading to a DI/SI unit with a larger more visible screen. Bought a Hummingbird 578 HD/SI unit last year and I really like the features but, the screen is too small. I have eye problems and need a larger screen size. I'm not married to the Hummingbird brand but I do need at least an 8 inch or larger screen. Price matters since I just dropped some cash on one last year. The sonar will be on an aluminum boat so the transducer will be outside the hull. Thanks for any constructive responses texas
Posted By: Flipside Outdoors

Re: Sonar upgrade - 10/17/15 01:02 PM

I'm searching right now as well and some things that I am noticing...

1. SI can't be used through hull (I think this goes for DI as well).
2. Lowrance requires you to mount 2 transducers if you are going to get an SI model.
3. The Helix series from Humminbird with SI/DI/GPS can be had for about $500 for 5 inch screen and $700 for 7 inch screen.
4. Humminbird is retiring their core units (like yours or any of the 5xx,7xx,8xx,9xx,11xx... series) so there is clearance prices on those. You can get an 1199 (10.4" screen) for about $1200.
5. If you get a Humminbird you can just use the transducer you have already mounted, all you have to do is switch out the head unit.

Apparently Humminbird is releasing 9",10" and 12" Helix models at the end of this year or early next year. Here are the estimated prices on those units

Humminbird HELIX 9 SI GPS
MSRP: $999.99

Humminbird HELIX 10 SI GPS
MSRP: $1,499.99

Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS
MSRP: $2,299.99
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Sonar upgrade - 10/17/15 01:46 PM

Humminbird Down Imaging can be used for shoot-thru.
The XIH 9 DI T is the shoot-thru version of the transom transducer, it comes with epoxy.

Re: Sonar upgrade - 10/22/15 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Wayne P.
Humminbird Down Imaging can be used for shoot-thru.
The XIH 9 DI T is the shoot-thru version of the transom transducer, it comes with epoxy.

Thru an aluminium hull??
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Sonar upgrade - 10/22/15 11:30 PM

There's is a special ducer for aluminum hulls. Not sure if it is di capable or not. Called alumaducer, I know it can be used for 2d not sure about the di though
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Sonar upgrade - 10/23/15 01:20 AM

No, the Alumaducer is 2D only. I use one.

No you cannot use the Humminbird transducer for shoot-thru in an aluminum hull.

Re: Sonar upgrade - 10/23/15 05:27 PM

Interesting stuff....Anybody use Garmin sonar?? Been looking at their 9-10 inch screen, side and down imaging units.
Posted By: ring fry

Re: Sonar upgrade - 10/23/15 07:21 PM

PM Transplant or Todd Driscoll. They have the bigger Garmin units. I love my 53dv and 43dv but they wouldn't suit you with their screen size.

SE Kansas grass grower
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum