Texas Fishing Forum

Converting waypoints

Posted By: CedarCreekWoody

Converting waypoints - 10/01/15 08:05 PM

I know this has been discussed, but I've been unable to find a solution. I have some waypoints is .usr format from a Lowrance unit that I am trying to import into HuminbirdPC. I follow the import direction but always get an error message that says "filexx.usr is not valid. No supported version found."

I called Huminbird support but they were no help at all, simple reading the help files to me (which I had already read and followed).

thanks
Posted By: LittleGazoo

Re: Converting waypoints - 10/02/15 03:36 AM

Use HBPC to do a File->Open of the .USR file. HBPC cannot handle USRv5. USRv4 opens best.

What USR version do you have?
What HBPC version do you have?

Re: Converting waypoints - 10/02/15 10:26 AM

HBPC is what I attempted to use. I have no idea what version the .usr file is. Any idea how to convert the older version?

Re: Converting waypoints - 10/02/15 01:55 PM

HBPC should convert all USR versions except v5. USRv5 is or was to the best of my knowledge compatible with HDS Touch units.

Your HBPC error message seems to indicate you have a USRv5 file, a bad USR file or a old HBPC version.

More info you give helps us.

Re: Converting waypoints - 10/02/15 02:04 PM

Gpsbabel program is another option to use.

Re: Converting waypoints - 10/05/15 01:09 PM

I tried GPSbabel and it also states that it will not convert .usr version 5 files. At least now I seem to be zeroing in on the problem. If only I can find a converter...
Posted By: UJC

Re: Converting waypoints - 10/06/15 03:35 PM

Do you still have the Lowr unit? If the wpts have been cleared from the L unit, then simply import the .usr into the unit, and export as .gpx. If existing wpts in the unit are from other sources and you don't want to mix, first save these wpts, and then delete. Load the .usr you want to convert into the unit, and export as .gpx. Then import to HBPC. Clear wpts from Lowr unit and import original wpts to restore this unit as it was.

If you don't have the Lowr unit, see if a buddy with Lowr Gen 2/3 will let you do the above. I have Gen 1 and it doesn't save in .usr v5.

You might also try GPSVisualizer - but I don't think it will work for .usr files, at least the newer versions because Lowr went to proprietary versions back some time ago.

I know many will snicker at this, but I am pretty good at this conversion stuff. If you want to send me the file via email to try and convert for you, PM me. I will promise to not retain your info - just trying to help.

Re: Converting waypoints - 10/07/15 12:06 AM

Thanks for the offer, but I got them converted. My original source was able to save them in another format.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum