Texas Fishing Forum

Stern saver

Posted By: RangerBass21

Stern saver - 09/14/15 12:14 AM

Has anyone used one of these? Will actually stay or will it fall off? And what does the epoxy do to your gel coat?
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: Stern saver - 09/14/15 01:38 AM

wopics
Posted By: RangerBass21

Re: Stern saver - 09/14/15 02:09 AM

It's a plexi board you glue to your transom or under step to attach transducers so you don't have to drill holes into your hull, all the reviews from different forums like it, seeing if anyone here used one and worth it
Posted By: Allan W

Re: Stern saver - 09/14/15 10:17 AM

I have one, no problems. It messes up the gel coat because you sand it before applying the epoxy.
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: Stern saver - 09/14/15 01:02 PM

Nope, never. Contact boat manufacturer and ask what they recommend.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Stern saver - 09/17/15 09:50 PM

The installation video shows the area around where it's going to go being masked off. You won't ruin gelcoat as long as you sand inside the tape. Also, you are not actually sanding down to the fiberglass, you are only scuffing the surface so the epoxy will have something to stick to. Finally, it's actually made out of King starboard.
Posted By: DAOutdoors

Re: Stern saver - 09/19/15 02:54 AM

If you put one on and decide you don't want it anymore you can just wet sand/buff/polish the area and you'd never know anything was on it...but you'll also never see it when you're fishing.
Posted By: OldChamp

Re: Stern saver - 09/22/15 01:10 AM

I've had two Stern Savers on my Champion's transom for a few years.

One is used to mount a Lowrance HDS skimmer transducer on back of transom, the other mounts a Lowrance StructureScan LSS1 transducer on the roof of the transom step.

Installation requires cleaning and scuffing the gel coat with sandpaper where the Stern Saver is mounted to allow proper bonding using the provided special 2-part epoxy.

Video if you've not already seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciy1najrIFE

Both Stern Savers and transducers are mounted solid with no sign of coming loose after being mounted for a few years. I have no idea what would happen to gel coat or fiberglass if I tried to remove them but I consider them to be permanently mounted. Check the YouTube video comments.

If you have a wood transom using these is far better than screw holes in the transom IMO.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum