Texas Fishing Forum

Can this be repaired? Broken shaft.

Posted By: edwardphoto

Can this be repaired? Broken shaft. - 09/07/15 12:42 AM

Well this happened today. Hit a stump and trashed my shaft on my terrova I pilot. Can someone in Dfw replace if or should I just upgrade? Sorry about the huge image file.

Posted By: Diel11

Re: Can this be repaired? Broken shaft. - 09/07/15 12:56 AM

I think those shafts have a lifetime warranty if I remember correctly.

Re: Can this be repaired? Broken shaft. - 09/07/15 01:00 AM

They do against defects. Not accidents unfortunately.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Can this be repaired? Broken shaft. - 09/07/15 04:41 AM

I think that you are right about defects BUT here's what there website states:

Indestructible Composite Shaft: Pound for pound, our composite shaft is stronger than steel. It flexes on impact and won’t break, kink or corrode. That’s why we’re confident enough to guarantee it for life. If we could guarantee it for longer than a lifetime, we would.

Minn Kota Limited Lifetime Warranty on Composite Shaft
JOME warrants to the original retail purchaser only that the composite shaft of the purchaser’s Minn Kota trolling motor will be materially free from defects in materials and workmanship appearing within the original purchaser’s lifetime. JOME will provide a new composite shaft, free of charge, to replace any composite shaft found by JOME to be defective during the term of this warranty. Providing a new composite shaft shall be the sole and exclusive liability of JOME and the sole and exclusive remedy of the purchaser for breach of this warranty; and purchaser shall be responsible for installing, or for the cost of labor to install, any new composite shaft provided by JOME.

I think that you could argue that if they advertise it to flex and not flex on impact and will not break, then it would have to be a defect in the materials or workmanship. I would bet you could argue the fact up the chain until you get hold of someone willing to just send you one. The warranty only replaces the shaft and not the labor to install a new one. Let us know what you find out. If they don't do right then it is probably much cheaper to buy a new shaft then a new unit.
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Can this be repaired? Broken shaft. - 09/07/15 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
I think that you are right about defects BUT here's what there website states:

Indestructible Composite Shaft: Pound for pound, our composite shaft is stronger than steel. It flexes on impact and won’t break, kink or corrode. That’s why we’re confident enough to guarantee it for life. If we could guarantee it for longer than a lifetime, we would.

Minn Kota Limited Lifetime Warranty on Composite Shaft
JOME warrants to the original retail purchaser only that the composite shaft of the purchaser’s Minn Kota trolling motor will be materially free from defects in materials and workmanship appearing within the original purchaser’s lifetime. JOME will provide a new composite shaft, free of charge, to replace any composite shaft found by JOME to be defective during the term of this warranty. Providing a new composite shaft shall be the sole and exclusive liability of JOME and the sole and exclusive remedy of the purchaser for breach of this warranty; and purchaser shall be responsible for installing, or for the cost of labor to install, any new composite shaft provided by JOME.

I think that you could argue that if they advertise it to flex and not flex on impact and will not break, then it would have to be a defect in the materials or workmanship. I would bet you could argue the fact up the chain until you get hold of someone willing to just send you one. The warranty only replaces the shaft and not the labor to install a new one. Let us know what you find out. If they don't do right then it is probably much cheaper to buy a new shaft then a new unit.

<THIS>

Call a local ASC and get you a new shaft replaced....

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Authorized-Service-Providers/
Posted By: UJC

Re: Can this be repaired? Broken shaft. - 09/07/15 06:09 PM

Mine was replaced gratis - shouldn't be a problem. It is a Terrova.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Can this be repaired? Broken shaft. - 09/08/15 02:17 AM

I want to upgrade to ulterra eventually. If they wouldn't replace it under their claims, I don't think that I'd buy one. I did deal with them when I got mine delivered and it was missing a foot control. I thought that they'd never believe that they didn't pack one in the box. To my shock they were super friendly and didn't hesitate to ship one out the same day with no questions asked and less than a 5 minute phone call. I'm sure that they'll take care of you.

Re: Can this be repaired? Broken shaft. - 09/08/15 03:29 AM

Sounds great. I'll let you guys know what happens. Taking it in tomorrow. Thanks!
Posted By: johnathonmharding

Re: Can this be repaired? Broken shaft. - 09/09/15 03:25 PM

Just called for warrenty on mine to my shaft is not broke or bent its just the aluminum pipe above it so no warrenty for me
Posted By: bigtexnick

Re: Can this be repaired? Broken shaft. - 09/09/15 06:09 PM

Ouch. What happened---were you going like 40mph for the shaft to break like that? Wow.
Posted By: Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc

Re: Can this be repaired? Broken shaft. - 09/13/15 03:57 PM

i may be interested in your broken terrova for parts. I need to rebuild mine. what model is yours? i need parts for an 80lb.

the gear box and control board are what i need. basically everything that is not broken on yours.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum