Texas Fishing Forum

'95 Skeeter 150 ZX Livewell Pump Hose Fitting Problem

Posted By: Skeeter-Blue

'95 Skeeter 150 ZX Livewell Pump Hose Fitting Problem - 08/27/15 12:33 PM

Here we go again, confusion on something that should be simple. I replaced the two livewell recirculation pumps. You know those two that fill them with lake water as opposed to the aeration pumps on the side of the livewells that recirculates the stale water in the livewells when underway or trailered. Okay REC switch fills and AER recirculates.

Anyway, the two pumps have a plastic hose type connection to barbed fitting and the hose if secured to the barbed fitting with a PEX crimp clamp. To replace the two pumps you have to drain the 32 gallon tank, remove three batteries, remove the oil reserve, remove two chargers, then you can slide the tank forward and they are right there; if you stand on your head in the compartment. Now the two livewell fill hoses from the pumps cross over the top of fuel tank and batteries to prevent wells from draining back through the pumps. When you remove or check the water levels in the batteries you have to move the hoses around to get past them. Guess what, this movement of the hose tweaks the garden hose fitting at the pumps and the garden hose type fitting come loose and leaks. The hoses also have zip ties in an effort to reduce movement.

The pump manufacture indicates that you wrap the threads with Teflon tape, hand tighten, then turn an additional 1/4 to 1/2 turn with a wrench. As difficult as this is by reaching down through a 6" deck plate it is doable. But about every other season, I am getting leaks at this location again. Where I have to removed the fitting, inspected for cracks, replace the garden hose washer with a new one, taped the threads, tightened as specified, and tie the two hoses to the bilge pump hose with two zip ties....all by feel left handed. After moving the hoses only a few times they come loose and normal boat vibrations take over and loosen them more until they start leaking again.

Three Questions:
1) I hate to glue the darn things in place, because it guarantees having to replace them eventually. Is there a more secure way to stop these fitting from coming loose without damaging the pump connection point by gluing them in place? Is there a miracle locking ring or something?

2) Does anyone know the OME pumps installed in a '95 Skeeter 150 ZX? I think it was a straight feed with a 30 degree angle. I do not remember if the feed was straight or 90 degrees. Pumps were replaced with 90 degree feed, which takes 3" out of the compartment because the fuel tank will no long slide all the way back. Having the angled feed would allow it to lay down and go under the fuel tank, thus avoiding the 90 degree fitting than keeps coming loose, but would make changing the cartridge very difficult, but it beats sinking a boat.

3) If I have to replace the pump, is there a pumps that do not have the garden hose type fitting or at least has a locking ring type fitting or a fixed 90 degree elbow?
Posted By: Skeeter-Blue

Re: '95 Skeeter 150 ZX Livewell Pump Hose Fitting Problem - 08/27/15 05:11 PM

I noticed that the hose type washer in the pump elbow fitting is a really hard red rubber. I wonder if a different material would help hold the seal a little better?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum