Texas Fishing Forum

Has anyone made their HDS portable??

Posted By: Truck 6, Tillerman

Has anyone made their HDS portable?? - 08/09/15 02:55 PM

I have a HDS12 Gen 2 and I would like to make it portable, to enable me to occasionally mount it on a small boat on private lakes. I'll bet someone on The Forum has done this, or could help me design this, as far as brackets, wiring and electronics. I don't have a lot of expertise, but I do have a lot of time.
Thanks for your input.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Has anyone made their HDS portable?? - 08/09/15 05:38 PM

I have an 8ft Pelican Bass raider that I occasionally mount my HDS 7 gen 2 on.I think my HDS 12 would be a bit too much so I mount either my Elite-7 HDI or my HDS 7 Gen2 using a small Ram Mount.I have both transducers already mounted on my 55 lb thrust Trolling motor so it`s ready to go when I am. All I have to do is grab a unit ,Troll motor & load the boat in the back of my truck. You can`t see it in the picture but there is a short model Gen 1 structure scan Transducer coupled underneath the troll motor that works with my HDS Gen 2 Unit. How does it work with the Gen 2 unit ? This little adapter.Had to buy it seperatly. If you have any questions feel free.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Has anyone made their HDS portable?? - 08/09/15 05:51 PM

I do with Humminbird units for demos.

This is a 1198 and transducer on a transom trolling motor bracket/shaft.

It's easier with an internal GPS antenna model.

The issue you may get is RFI if your trolling motor is a variable speed model and the transducer is attached to that along with having the unit power connected to the same battery as the motor.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Has anyone made their HDS portable?? - 08/09/15 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Wayne P.
I do with Humminbird units for demos.

This is a 1198 and transducer on a transom trolling motor bracket/shaft.

It's easier with an internal GPS antenna model.

The issue you may get is RFI if your trolling motor is a variable speed model and the transducer is attached to that along with having the unit power connected to the same battery as the motor.
NOPE! No interference at all.seperate Battery
Posted By: Truck 6, Tillerman

Re: Has anyone made their HDS portable?? - 08/12/15 12:27 AM

Thanks guys.
I knew someone would know.
Great forum made up of intelligent, sharing individuals
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum