Texas Fishing Forum

Helix question

Posted By: Pilothawk

Helix question - 06/28/15 02:27 PM

I purchased a Humminbird Helix KVD a couple of weeks ago. I have not yet installed it. I haven't decided which boat to put it on...the pontoon or my bass boat. I fish from the pontoon 80% of the time.

How practical would it be to wire both boats with a transducer and appropriate mount, then just move the control head around depending upon which boat I am gonna be using?

Ledge fishing is key here in summertime. You gotta find baitfish and ledges where bass are stacked.

Thanks in advance for your opinion.
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: Helix question - 06/28/15 04:42 PM

I have a helix too. I also have two boats, a pontoon and a jon boat. Because of the routing of the cables on the pontoon it wouldn't be practical to use the same transducer and cables. But as you said two transducers, one on each boat, and you can save a couple hundred $$$ by simply plugging it into the boat you are using. That's what I'm doing. I ordered my 2nd transducer yesterday. Great minds think alike!
Posted By: Pilothawk

Re: Helix question - 06/28/15 04:50 PM

How do you like the Helix? Is the small size that much of a problem? Do you have the SI...if so are you happy with it.
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: Helix question - 06/29/15 04:15 AM

I really like it. It has taken a lot of getting used to. I've never owned good electronics so this has been a learning thing. I do have the SI. I love it in low light but I can't see the screen good enough to use it during bright hours. I need to make a sun shade for it. I wish they would have used a no glare lens. The 5" screen is tough enough without having to deal with glare. Other than that I love the unit.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Helix question - 06/29/15 11:11 AM

Originally Posted By: newpontoonguy
I really like it. It has taken a lot of getting used to. I've never owned good electronics so this has been a learning thing. I do have the SI. I love it in low light but I can't see the screen good enough to use it during bright hours. I need to make a sun shade for it. I wish they would have used a no glare lens. The 5" screen is tough enough without having to deal with glare. Other than that I love the unit.

It does have an anti-glare coating. Use a different SI color that is more visible in bright sunlight.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum