Texas Fishing Forum

ThermaCell

Posted By: HolyGrail

ThermaCell - 06/22/15 08:52 PM

I am curious if any of you have had any "real world" use of the TermaCell mosquito repellent, and would like to see your feedback.

I purchased one at my local W-M for $19.99. I used it in my neighbors garage as a sort of ideal environment test (no wind) and it seemed to be working(ish) after about 20 or so minutes. The problem is I am not too sure if I thought it was working because it was, or if I tricked myself into believing it was working because I wanted it to work. So please share your thoughts.

Sorry if this has already been covered on here - I could not find anything by doing a search.
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: ThermaCell - 06/22/15 09:16 PM

I did a similar test with the candles. Say one on my patio at my apartment. I'll light it for about 5 minutes then go sit outside by it for about 20 minutes. Then I blew it out and waited another 20 minutes. The mosquitoes came back about 8 minutes after blowing it out. Maybe do something similar with you Thermacell. I have heard nothing but good things about them when they are used in t`he right environment. Just wait until you start getting bit, then start it.
Posted By: Flip-n-go

Re: ThermaCell - 06/22/15 09:31 PM

Works great for me! Use it anytime I'm outdoors, fishing or hunting. Windy conditions not so much, but the bugs usually aren't too bad then anyway. thumb x 2
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: ThermaCell - 06/23/15 01:00 AM

I use them religiously when hunting, especially bow hunting early in the season. I will not leave it behind when bow hunting. Never tried it fishing, as I figure the open breezy environment might not allow it to be as effective. But not saying it couldn't work. In a slight breeze or still environment, they work.
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: ThermaCell - 06/23/15 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Flip-n-go
Works great for me! Use it anytime I'm outdoors, fishing or hunting. Windy conditions not so much, but the bugs usually aren't too bad then anyway. thumb x 2

This.
Posted By: brandon f.

Re: ThermaCell - 06/23/15 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By: psycho0819
I use them religiously when hunting, especially bow hunting early in the season. I will not leave it behind when bow hunting. Never tried it fishing, as I figure the open breezy environment might not allow it to be as effective. But not saying it couldn't work. In a slight breeze or still environment, they work.

THIS.

Especially in a pop up blind or tree stand before the sun comes up. Last season I forgot it one outing, and that's not a mistake I will make again. I leave one in my bow case to remind me. They DO work.

I have never used one fishing, Im usually on the trolling motor too much to worry about bugs finding me.
Posted By: HolyGrail

Re: ThermaCell - 06/23/15 03:30 PM

Thank you all for the replies. Sounds like it was a good buy.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: ThermaCell - 06/23/15 03:58 PM

I have one and it is basically worthless with any breeze or if you are moving along like when fishing from a boat.

I used mine twice when fishing, the first time and the last time.
Posted By: JFGloor

Re: ThermaCell - 06/25/15 06:15 PM

I use them during hunting season, because I don't want to use spray that deer might smell. I've had deer with in ten yards of the thermocell and never spook them. Fishing I use spray though. I will say watch out with it in confined areas. I left one on in my truck one time and got pretty sick the next day. I guess that's why they put warning labels on em.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: ThermaCell - 06/27/15 03:21 PM

I've had one since they first came out. My original lasted for over 10 yrs before the ignitor quit. I have one in my daypack that I hunt with at all times and one in my duck boat. Turkey season, early teal and bow season - the thermacell is as important as the gun. We also use it when we are sitting on the dock fishing or just on the front porch here at the house.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum