Texas Fishing Forum

Planing out in a skeeter

Posted By: dropshotjoe

Planing out in a skeeter - 06/14/15 05:16 PM

Anyone out there have a problem planing out in their skeeter with talons I've got a zx250 with a 300 yamaha and since I put the talons on it takes forever to get planed out I took it to fun n sun and had it serviced and had the jack plate put where it would be from the factory still no good anybody got any ideas

Re: Planing out in a skeeter - 06/14/15 05:17 PM

The boat is a 2007.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Planing out in a skeeter - 06/15/15 04:12 PM

Shouldn't be a problem.
Are the Talons mounted so they drag in the water when getting on plane?
Posted By: Mustang3475

Re: Planing out in a skeeter - 06/15/15 04:53 PM

Yes, make sure the Talons aren't dragging in the water. Have seen a lot of guys do that with new boats. We had one professionaly installed, and noticed that they were dragging. It caused all kinds of issues with turning etc. Moved it up 4", and don't even notice them.

Re: Planing out in a skeeter - 06/15/15 10:33 PM

Well the brackets are under water when you take off I guess I'll try and move them up just hate losing my depth. Thinking about trying a whale tale the brackets themselves can't be move but ill try and move the poles upas far as I can and see hay happens
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Planing out in a skeeter - 06/16/15 05:05 PM

I've had 8 and 12 footers. The effective depth on each was 1 foot less and no interference with boat performance.

Re: Planing out in a skeeter - 06/16/15 08:18 PM

I moved them up as far as I could haven't got to test it yet. They are flush with the bottom of the bracket I've got 10fts
Posted By: JimmyP

Re: Planing out in a skeeter - 06/17/15 03:45 AM

Have you balanced the load in the boat? If you have most of the weight in the back of the boat it will be harder to put on plane. Put some of the heavier weight in the front center box to try to level the load.

Re: Planing out in a skeeter - 06/17/15 02:33 PM

I'll give that a shot too.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum