Texas Fishing Forum

Down Scan

Posted By: JavelinJ

Down Scan - 05/27/15 05:45 PM

My new Lowrance unit is to arrive today and I was going to install tonight. After watching hours of youtube, I thought I would go out in the shop and start preparing for the install.

Now i am bummed. I'm afraid these rivets on the bottom are going to screw me from using the down scan or really any of the unit at any speed. Anyone have any advice/input?

Posted By: glenls

Re: Down Scan - 05/27/15 06:34 PM

Time for a new boat to match that Lowrance.

Re: Down Scan - 05/27/15 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: glenls
Time for a new boat to match that Lowrance.

Just bought the boat last week crazy . Doubt I can spring for anything more at the moment. If I do, mama may be testing out that life insurance policy of mine.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Down Scan - 05/27/15 07:41 PM

Are you concerned about the rivets causing turbulence and interfering with the signal? As a side note, you got a lot of old holes in the transom! Assume they are sealed up with epoxy of some sort.

Re: Down Scan - 05/27/15 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher
Are you concerned about the rivets causing turbulence and interfering with the signal? As a side note, you got a lot of old holes in the transom! Assume they are sealed up with epoxy of some sort.

They are all sealed up. The previous owner had a few units on this boat. Yes, I am worried about the rivets causing air bubbles at speed.
Posted By: Mo

Re: Down Scan - 05/27/15 07:47 PM

Downscan is useless at anything more than trolling speed,

MO

Re: Down Scan - 05/27/15 07:53 PM

Says it can be used at up to 50MPH. Was hoping to be able to use it to scan/mark structure quickly.
Posted By: RetiredYaker

Re: Down Scan - 05/27/15 08:00 PM

LSS2 transducer? i have a mount here that will let you mount it to the transom, and it will move up if a stump hits it.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Down Scan - 05/27/15 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: txfour
Says it can be used at up to 50MPH. Was hoping to be able to use it to scan/mark structure quickly.

If you mount it right, you can use it at speed. I run mine at 30 all the time and it works fine. Usually in a split window with 2d. Rather than drilling holes to reposition it, i would get the plate to mount on the back and then you can drill into it if you need to raise it without putting more holes in the boat. I think that you will be fine with the rivets.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum