Texas Fishing Forum

899 and 898 mounting question

Posted By: Bobby Milam

899 and 898 mounting question - 05/17/15 12:26 PM

recently put an 898 on the bow and 899 at the console. the 898 doesnt seem to have as good of a picture as the 899. now I am beginning to think that maybe I should have reversed them. Do most of you run the better unit up front or back?

I am travelling right now otherwise I would just swap them and try rather than asking on here
Posted By: northtexascrappiehunter

Re: 899 and 898 mounting question - 05/18/15 09:55 PM

I use the better unit on the console. Ive installed 1000's of DF's and most people run the better on the console.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: 899 and 898 mounting question - 05/18/15 10:22 PM

It depends on what's more important to you, what you are right on top of or what you just passed.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: 899 and 898 mounting question - 05/19/15 05:02 AM

Just to update this, I took the boat to the lake this afternoon and reversed them. Made a world of difference for me. The 898 screen just isn't as bright and having it at the console, I was able to see everything just fine. The 899, mounted to the floor of the front deck, was brighter and therefore I was able to read the screen better from a distance even in the bright sunlight. I'm going to start using them that way now. I had really been disappointed with DI and SI on the bow before.

When I initially bought them, someone on here suggested that I mount them this way but didn't explain why and I just felt that I wanted the best one on the back to search for areas. I thought this might help someone in the future.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum