Texas Fishing Forum

Lures - Fresh water vs Salt water - How do I tell?

Posted By: Oddball

Lures - Fresh water vs Salt water - How do I tell? - 05/14/15 07:28 PM

Hello Everyone, New guy here and this is my first post. I am NOT an experienced fisherman. in fact what I DON'T know about fishing could fill a library. But I want to learn so I am hoping to gain some knowledge here. I fish almost exclusively in fresh water, mostly Lake Livingston. I recently bought a tackle box at an estate sale with a number of lures in it. I really don't know how to tell which lures to use in fresh water vs salt water. Is there a rule of thumb or a guideline to go by or does one just have to be familiar with an individual lure? I am attaching a pic of the lures I got in this box. I would sincerely appreciate any comments. Are any of these not suited for fresh water? THANKS!
Posted By: Streetwalker

Re: Lures - Fresh water vs Salt water - How do I tell? - 05/14/15 10:48 PM

For the most part those are all freshwater lures. Some of them could be used in the salt.
Posted By: 67TexasTBend

Re: Lures - Fresh water vs Salt water - How do I tell? - 05/15/15 09:56 PM

As Streetwalker said, those are Freshwater lures. Saltwater lures are not going to have the bronze hooks. If you want to get a good idea of the difference, go to say Academy and browse between the Freshwater and Saltwalter sections. You can find some saltwater versions of the some of the exact lures you have there like the Rattletrap or the Heddon Spook.
Posted By: Oddball

Re: Lures - Fresh water vs Salt water - How do I tell? - 05/16/15 12:25 AM

Thank you Streetwalker and 67TexasT for the information.
Posted By: Tommar

Re: Lures - Fresh water vs Salt water - How do I tell? - 05/16/15 04:36 AM

Heck, throw it out there and see what happens!
Posted By: kjwolvy

Re: Lures - Fresh water vs Salt water - How do I tell? - 05/16/15 08:04 PM

Some of those are classics!
Posted By: mbsfish

Re: Lures - Fresh water vs Salt water - How do I tell? - 05/19/15 03:00 PM

Don't think that you can't catch freshwater fish on saltwater lures and vise versa. Many times I will use saltwater lures in freshwater, especially top waters, due to stronger hooks. They mostly imitate the same baitfish profiles. The differences are usually beefed up hardware and hooks, and lure depth.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum