Texas Fishing Forum

humminbird 898c

Posted By: Kayak-Hooligan

humminbird 898c - 05/13/15 06:29 PM

how many of you guys use your down image? is there a better way you can set this thing? mine always seems blurry and the return is not as strong for some reason or maybe its me. i will take a photo when im on the lake again. just wondering
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: humminbird 898c - 05/13/15 07:06 PM

I rarely use DI.
The DI view is a blend of the two SI pulses so it will be more "blurry".

Use a Sensitivity setting about 2 numbers higher than the SI Sensitivity. The brown color pallet, for me, produces the best DI images.
You do set the Chart Speed to the GPS speed ?????????????????????

Don't take a photo, take a unit screen snapshot.

This is with a 1198 and your unit has a higher resolution display than that (pixels per square inch)

Re: humminbird 898c - 05/13/15 07:30 PM

BTW, same subject, different view:

Posted By: Kayak-Hooligan

Re: humminbird 898c - 05/13/15 08:07 PM

yes wayne it looks like that is that normal? i tried all the setting but not much options as si. i also set the chart speed as gps speed, thought maybe it was just the unit itself

Re: humminbird 898c - 05/13/15 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Kayak-Hooligan
yes wayne it looks like that is that normal? i tried all the setting but not much options as si. i also set the chart speed as gps speed, thought maybe it was just the unit itself

If you want dedicated Down Imaging, you can use a DI transducer with a TS3 switch to choose between the two transducers.
Just choose the DI view when using that transducer. It will show as the right side SI in the SI view.

The transom DI transducer is the XNT 9 DI T.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: humminbird 898c - 05/14/15 04:51 AM

I have the same problem. On the 899 the DI is good. On the 898, I stopped even using it because it doesn't come out clear and doesn't read as much as the 2d or SI. I also have a 587 and the DI seems much better. I just thought that I had a bad unit. I have the other transducer, I will have to give it a try. I'd rather have DI than Si on the front of the boat.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum