Texas Fishing Forum

Gen 3 Lowrance

Posted By: 83falcon

Gen 3 Lowrance - 04/28/15 03:40 PM

Who has one and what are your reviews?
Posted By: Diel11

Re: Gen 3 Lowrance - 04/28/15 10:02 PM

I have a Gen3 HDS12 and like it a lot. I have it networked with a Simrad NSS Evo2. The Evo2 is faster on boot up and more powerful when it comes to certain features but the Gen3 is very solid. I have been using it to control the Motorguide Xi5 trolling motor.

Re: Gen 3 Lowrance - 04/29/15 03:05 AM

How do you like the Xi5 trolling motor linked up? I saw some videos and it looked awesome.

Re: Gen 3 Lowrance - 04/29/15 11:41 AM

The motor works really well. It's much quieter and the head spins faster than the Terrova. Also holds spot lock much better. The only thing I don't like is it's slower at full speed than the 112 Terrova I had. I can do 2.6 mph on the Motorguide wide open, the Terrova would go 3.2mph. Other than that so far it's been doing well.

One thing I learned when I first switched over, Motorguide's customer service is totally different than Minn Kota. If you get a new motor from Minn Kota and out of the box it doesn't work or it's damaged, they send you a complete motor. Motorguide wants you to have the damaged motor repaired.

Re: Gen 3 Lowrance - 04/29/15 06:08 PM

What issues did u have with the trolling motor
Posted By: CDF

Re: Gen 3 Lowrance - 04/29/15 06:47 PM

My xi5 had a GPS board go out. I took it to boris marine and was pleased with the service there not pleased with motorguides service at all. The part was back ordered for 3 months. They had plenty to assemble new motors at the factory but would not spare one to get me back on the water. I finally went ballistic on the poor guy on the phone when they said another month to wait and insisted a new motor be overnighted to me or the part overnighted to boris marine. The next morning boris had the part plus a spare one delivered to them. That even made me madder that they were able to send 2 of the parts that were unavailable. $2000 is a lot to spend on a trolling motor and gateway connect and not be able to use it all spring.

Re: Gen 3 Lowrance - 04/29/15 11:11 PM

First motor arrived with a bent skeg. They wanted to send me a new skeg to replace the bent one. If the motor got hit that hard, you would think there could be other things wrong with it.

Second motor arrived and it sounded like a magnet inside had come loose. Seriously, sounded like a Harley idling. They wanted me to take it to the repair center. Brian at BBG sent me another one but I was stuck with paying the shipping for a motor that arrived dead. $175 later I sent it back.

Third motor working ok so far.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum