Texas Fishing Forum

LITHIUM ION MARINE BATTERIES

Posted By: martyk8

LITHIUM ION MARINE BATTERIES - 04/16/15 09:10 AM

Have been looking into the Lithium Ion 12 volt Marine Batteries and wondering if any of you guys have any experience using them. 70% lighter weight, 3000-5000 cycles and last 10 times longer, 100% DOD (depth of discharge). Sounds almost to good to be true... although they do cost a good bit more. Just wondering .....
Posted By: Dayne

Re: LITHIUM ION MARINE BATTERIES - 04/16/15 10:20 AM

I haven't. I'm not sure my charger would work on them.
Posted By: Diel11

Re: LITHIUM ION MARINE BATTERIES - 04/16/15 10:54 AM

I am running 3-80ah for my trolling motor, 1-100ah for cranking and 1-100ah for my electronics. I've only had them for a couple of weeks but so far they work great. They come with a 6 year warranty. If you have dual pro chargers Relion will pay to send your chargers back to Dual Pro to reprogram them with a new charging profile to charge the Lithium batteries better. Standard AGM profiles will work but will only charge the battery to 95%, with the reprogramming it will go to 99%.

I have a really accurate scale I use for work and this is what I found out when I switched out my Walmart Everstart Maxx 29 batteries for the Relions:

1. One Everstart 29 battery weighs 65 lbs and you can get 50% of aH out of it.

2. Three Relion 80ah batteries combined weigh 75 lbs and you get about 80% of the capacity out of it. These are group 27 size.

3. The 100aH battery is a group 31 but weighs 30 lbs. It cranks my Yamaha 300 motor no problem as it has 1000 CCA. For comparison most group 31 batteries are in the high 60, low 70 lbs.

Again, I haven't had them too long but right now they are performing as advertised when it comes to weight. Main downfall I see is the cost.

Posted By: jwfflipper

Re: LITHIUM ION MARINE BATTERIES - 04/17/15 12:43 AM

who sells them

Jeff
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: LITHIUM ION MARINE BATTERIES - 04/17/15 02:25 AM

What Is the cost????
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: LITHIUM ION MARINE BATTERIES - 04/17/15 04:04 AM

If they'd get the cost down they could own the market. Last I heard they were a couple G's each.
Posted By: Lou r Pitcher

Re: LITHIUM ION MARINE BATTERIES - 04/17/15 04:31 AM

According to the web site if you were careful to not discharge them more than 25%, you would be able of obtaining only 80% of their capacity (essentially the battery's end of life) after about 1000 uses (cycles).

They specifically suggest not discharging 99% as mentioned above, as that affects their life.

They state that the battery should be stored at only 50% of its full charge. So you need to remember to fully charge it just before each use.

It is said to have a 7 year warranty, but there seems to be no copy available to review as to what exclusions it has, if its Pro-rated and really is only covered if a new battery is purchased.

Posted By: Diel11

Re: LITHIUM ION MARINE BATTERIES - 04/17/15 12:16 PM

My bad, I researched 3 different types and I confused them. Thanks, Lou. I will correct the post.
Posted By: Doug Vahrenberg

Re: LITHIUM ION MARINE BATTERIES - 04/19/15 04:27 PM

Also be very carefully they require special charging sequence or they can "melt down" and become a fire hazard. They are not the same as Flooded Lead Acid or AGM Batteries and make sure you understand the differences. I know of several anglers that have had concerns overheating and actual fires from Lithium Batteries. Be careful if you decide to go Lithium.
Posted By: onfirecrappie

Re: LITHIUM ION MARINE BATTERIES - 04/22/15 02:59 AM

I have no experience with the lith ion marine batteries but my kids go kart battery kept going dead and wouldn't hold a charge, I replaced it with a lith ion and I couldn't be happier. I can go months without cranking the kart and it starts right up. The battery I bought was only about 30% more and well worth it.
Posted By: onfirecrappie

Re: LITHIUM ION MARINE BATTERIES - 04/22/15 02:59 AM

I have no experience with the lith ion marine batteries but my kids go kart battery kept going dead and wouldn't hold a charge, I replaced it with a lith ion and I couldn't be happier. I can go months without cranking the kart and it starts right up. The battery I bought was only about 30% more and well worth it.
Posted By: opus

Re: LITHIUM ION MARINE BATTERIES - 04/25/15 04:48 PM

The 100aH battery is a group 31 but weighs 30 lbs. It cranks my Yamaha 300 motor no problem as it has 1000 CCA. For comparison most group 31 batteries are in the high 60, low 70 lbs-------so the motor charges it? Do ya have to reprogram motor?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum