Texas Fishing Forum

Humminbird 998 issue

Posted By: zoomtx

Humminbird 998 issue - 12/31/12 03:34 AM

Hello all i have a brand new 998 and i have it on my '07 nitro 750 i have the transducer mounted on the transom to the right of the motor when you are standing behind the boat and the bottom of the mounting bracket is right in line with the bottom of the transom so its mounted level, my issue is when in side imaging the left side of the lake bottom looks brighter than the right side, i have tried tweeking the settings and nothing seems to work and today i borrowed my buddies 997 and it does the same thing and he says it doesent do that on his boat, any ideas?
Posted By: Doug Vahrenberg

Re: Humminbird 998 issue - 12/31/12 05:16 PM

Do you have it mounted level? IS the boat level in the water. Most boats have more weight on the right then the left. On my skeeters I run the right livewell first to balance the boat weight distribution aanother thing when I'm over weighted is to fill the left livewell with water to see what happens. Might need to adjsut the left to right of the transducer.
Posted By: SuperG

Re: Humminbird 998 issue - 12/31/12 07:22 PM

Try your head unit on his boat to verify the transducer on your boat.
Posted By: Darin Y

Re: Humminbird 998 issue - 12/31/12 07:26 PM

Not sure about the nitro but on the skeeter I keep the left fuel tank full and run off that tank and the right side tank half full. Helps balance out the boat like what Doug was mentioning

Re: Humminbird 998 issue - 12/31/12 11:14 PM

I know my boat leans a little on the drivers side when im sitting behind the wheel but with the transducer slightly tilted down to the right wouldnt that make the right side of the side image bottom brighter? hey Doug the transducer is mounted level to the boat, thank yall for the info!

Re: Humminbird 998 issue - 01/02/13 02:10 AM

Today i slotted the holes in the stainless mounting bracket so i can twist the transducer to raise the right side and it seems to help but the right side image is still darker than the left, then i tried my unit on my buddies boat and the left side image is darker then tried it at the bow and i got perfect image with his trolling motor mounted transducer, i dunno whats going on!
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Humminbird 998 issue - 01/02/13 02:37 AM

Post a picture of your SI transducer installation so all the transom can be seen directly behind the boat with the engine tilted all the way up.

Re: Humminbird 998 issue - 01/02/13 04:38 AM

I dont know how to post a pic but the transducer has a clear shot on both sides, i use to think it has to be a angle thing but what my unit did on my friends boat just baffles me...
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Humminbird 998 issue - 01/07/13 07:08 PM

Seeing as your unit was showing good on the TM it is a transducer mounting issue. Take a level with you on the water. WHILE idling check the level of boat and mark the edge of the bubble. Out of the water return boat to that mark you put on the level. Then mount your transducer LEVEL that way it is level while you idle. And the one side darker could be a tilting ducer or the lay of the lake.

Re: Humminbird 998 issue - 01/08/13 03:07 AM

Well i did all kinds of adjusting of the transducer to no avail so i got another transducer and my graph works fine, turns out i had a bad transducer, you would think with the price of these units they would test them before shipping!!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum