Texas Fishing Forum

Humminbird 798 Transducer Mounting ?

Posted By: bigfish

Humminbird 798 Transducer Mounting ? - 04/12/10 05:00 PM

I have not been on the water yet, but I wanted ya'll opinions on my transducer mount.

I am worried that the transducer being right at the ridge of the hull. Is that going to be a problem?

I also considered mounting it right in the center above my drain plug. But i worried about water turbulance from the step and also the back 1/8th inch of the transducer is blocked by the drain plug.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Or maybe I should just take it out on the water and give it a good test run.

Posted By: LipRippin

Re: Humminbird 798 Transducer Mounting ? - 04/12/10 06:25 PM

Not much of an option there looks to be the only spot although not ideal, I would give it a run without putting the lockdown and looks like that running board may need a nockout. Unless you want to use only for your 5mph mode... I think u may be go thru hull for your boat to be sure..
I am no expert but that hull is not bird freindly.
Posted By: Eddie (alias Eddie@Humminbird)

Re: Humminbird 798 Transducer Mounting ? - 04/13/10 01:54 AM

I don't think you're going to be happy with that installation.
I would move it up just to the right of the motor mount (on the blue flake). Put a XP 9 20 puck transducer in your hull and attach it to the Y cable AS SIDB Y. Plug the SI ducer into the Y cable as well and plug the Y into he unit.
You will get good high speed readings and SI images as well.
Posted By: bigfish

Re: Humminbird 798 Transducer Mounting ? - 04/14/10 10:07 PM

Thanks for the quick replies and PMs!
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Humminbird 798 Transducer Mounting ? - 04/15/10 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Eddie@Humminbird
I would move it up just to the right of the motor mount (on the blue flake). Put a XP 9 20 puck transducer in your hull and attach it to the Y cable AS SIDB Y. Plug the SI ducer into the Y cable as well and plug the Y into he unit.
What he said! thumb
Posted By: Flattman

Re: Humminbird 798 Transducer Mounting ? - 04/15/10 11:47 AM

I e-mailed a picture of transom on my boat prior to installing my 798 and Eddie advised me as to where to place the transducer. I installed it just like he said and it worked beautiful the first time on the lake. I have been very happy with it. Eddie's advice is excellent and was very helpful to me. Also, I have been learning a lot as to what I am seeing on the graph by studying the information on this web site.

http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=280

The help has been "top notch" from all the HB people and also the HB owners. Check out the web site if you have not already done so.
Posted By: Ernie J

Re: Humminbird 798 Transducer Mounting ? - 04/17/10 02:33 AM

Flattman, what was Eddie's advice on the transducer location?
Ernie J
Posted By: Flattman

Re: Humminbird 798 Transducer Mounting ? - 04/17/10 02:39 AM

I don't know how to put pictures on here, but I can e mail you a picture of the back of my boat and where he advised me to put the transducer. I emailed him a picture of the transom and he marked it in red where he thought I should mount it. That's what I did and I am very happy. I will forward that picture to you, it may help you.

Re: Humminbird 798 Transducer Mounting ? - 04/17/10 03:00 AM

ok thanks

Re: Humminbird 798 Transducer Mounting ? - 04/18/10 06:01 PM

I installed my transducer on the area that Eddie recommended for bigfish. I have the problem when running on plane no readings . The transducer is out of the water. I'm going to do what Eddie suggested about the puck in the bilge area. I ordered both Y and the puck today. So when I get installed will report back on results.
Ernie J
Posted By: nitroslim

Re: Humminbird 798 Transducer Mounting ? - 04/21/10 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Eddie@Humminbird

I have the same type hull and did exactly what eddie is saying and mine works great.
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Humminbird 798 Transducer Mounting ? - 04/21/10 03:39 PM

I hit a couple of guys up with Z-7's over on BBC and got a couple of pics of jackplate mounts.

Here is the link:
http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothrea...t-si-transducer

My unit is due in today along with the splitter cable, transducer for bilge and the dash mount. I will try and post pics of the process when I get it all hooked up.

Re: Humminbird 798 Transducer Mounting ? - 04/21/10 09:45 PM

When you install the transducer in the bilge does the 798 automatically switch to it when you're on plane? Or is there a setting you need to set in the unit 1st?
Ernie J
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Humminbird 798 Transducer Mounting ? - 04/22/10 12:58 AM

Ernie I was made to understand the unit recognizes the need to switch. Got that from Greg with Humminbird or read it somewhere.

He told me the same thing Eddie did above!

I will keep you posted, hope to start the install tomorrow evening.

Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Humminbird 798 Transducer Mounting ? - 04/22/10 10:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Ernie J
When you install the transducer in the bilge does the 798 automatically switch to it when you're on plane? Or is there a setting you need to set in the unit 1st?
Ernie J
It is automatically detected. You will have to change your view to 2D sonar because side or down imaging does not work on plane.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum