Texas Fishing Forum

What fish finder is best on an aluminum boat?

Posted By: 325homie

What fish finder is best on an aluminum boat? - 12/02/09 12:14 AM

I have a 60 horse bass tracker and I am wanting to spend some money on a really good fish finder. I am torn between a humminbird SI unit and the traditional Lowrance systems. Would like to hear any thoughts/opinions on which one best suits my boat.

Thanks
Posted By: fishin couillon

Re: What fish finder is best on an aluminum boat? - 12/02/09 12:43 AM

Just remember that you can't mount a regular shoot thru hull ducer on an aluminum boat. You have to get that special ducer if you want shoot thru unless you plan on going with a skimmer ducer on the outside. Now for which unit, they been having this argument for a while. Best thing to do is decide how much $$ you want to spend then look at whats in the price range. Once you see whats there then try a hands on demo, either at a store or someone in your area that can show you what the can and cant do.
Posted By: Chase Curtis

Re: What fish finder is best on an aluminum boat? - 12/02/09 03:26 AM

you can always get the lowrance and then add the structure scan... thats on ethe best set-up.. IMO.
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: What fish finder is best on an aluminum boat? - 12/02/09 11:59 AM

My opinion is that Humminbird SI is a trusted unit and the down imaging comes out in January as a free software upgrade. Humminbird is much simpler to use and service is far superior in my opinion. I have had to use both customer service departments and there is no comparison. Humminbird does not pay me a dime to say this. I have owned both and wouldn't trade my units except to trade up to another Humminbird. thumb thumb
Posted By: MarcW

Re: What fish finder is best on an aluminum boat? - 12/02/09 12:21 PM

i recently got one used in this site and some lure as well.

http://FindFishingGear.com

Marc
Posted By: sandjohnny

Re: What fish finder is best on an aluminum boat? - 12/02/09 01:28 PM

Bobcat I did not know you liked hummingbird, I thought you switched to Lowarnce.
Johnny
Posted By: bob b.

Re: What fish finder is best on an aluminum boat? - 12/02/09 01:58 PM

When you do make the move to a scanning/imaging unit, you will wonder how you ever fished without it. After you get one, you will want to get another for the trolling motor too. Just something to think about in advance.

bob baldwin
bryan, texas
997c SI
1197c SI

Re: What fish finder is best on an aluminum boat? - 12/02/09 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: sandjohnny
Bobcat I did not know you liked hummingbird, I thought you switched to Lowarnce.
Johnny
Johnny you are one funny guy. We need to fish together someday. rolfmao

Re: What fish finder is best on an aluminum boat? - 12/03/09 02:07 AM

Thanks for all the help. I can't wait to get electronics for my boat. I will definately take these comments into consideration when I make a purchase.

Re: What fish finder is best on an aluminum boat? - 12/03/09 02:08 AM

How much extra is it to get that special ducer? Is it a hassel?

Re: What fish finder is best on an aluminum boat? - 12/03/09 04:10 PM

Would love to Bobcat . Would love to see a hummingbird that was any good work. I know they must be out there. I have two that came on boats laying on the self in my shop because they would not read the bottom consistently. Have fished with a couple of guys with side imaging and they would say we are on fish and I have never caught a fish. I would take the depth finder and put it on regular down reading and I could go find fish with it. So I figure they work I have just never seen it work. I have been using Lowarnce since they went into business and have never needed customer service. I have fished with medic and he has set my depth finders up to do some things that I could not figure out. Plus it is hard for me to find anybody that has a Hummingbird I know they are out there but just not in my crowd.
I just enjoy listening to you never miss a chance to rack Lowarance . I suspect they stole you first born. LOL. All in good fun maybe we can get togeather and fish sometime.
Johnny
Posted By: fishin couillon

Re: What fish finder is best on an aluminum boat? - 12/03/09 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: A-RON
How much extra is it to get that special ducer? Is it a hassel?
http://vexilar.com/pages/accessories/accy_transducers_au.html This is the shoot thru i was talking about. I don't have a aluminum boat but have seen post about this. Looks like they are around $150 plus needing the adapter to connect to the unit. Also keep in mind that you can use the skimmer ducer and mount on the outside of the transom which is cheaper.

Re: What fish finder is best on an aluminum boat? - 12/03/09 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: sandjohnny
Would love to Bobcat . Would love to see a hummingbird that was any good work. I know they must be out there. I have two that came on boats laying on the self in my shop because they would not read the bottom consistently. Have fished with a couple of guys with side imaging and they would say we are on fish and I have never caught a fish. I would take the depth finder and put it on regular down reading and I could go find fish with it. So I figure they work I have just never seen it work. I have been using Lowarnce since they went into business and have never needed customer service. I have fished with medic and he has set my depth finders up to do some things that I could not figure out. Plus it is hard for me to find anybody that has a Hummingbird I know they are out there but just not in my crowd.
I just enjoy listening to you never miss a chance to rack Lowarance . I suspect they stole you first born. LOL. All in good fun maybe we can get togeather and fish sometime.
Johnny
Not my firstborn but lets just say the love ended soon and a bad break up. eeks

These Humminbird side imagers are a awesome tool if you know what you are looking for and how to use them. The very best thing they do is find habitat as in brush, rock piles ledges and they can do it out 100 feet either side of the boat. You then move the curser over to it and mark it as a waypoint and go back to it with GPS and look at it up close and personal on 2D and side imaging. Takes a lot of drive time out of hunting fish. I love mine and the down imaging will be even more of a tool when it gets here in January.

I guess I am so loyal to them number one because they work and number 2 I can get help when I need with them. I did not have that experience with Lowrance and I am an extremely loyal type guy. Team, Country, Town, State, TFF, Local Feed Store. Yep I'm a big ole' born and bred Texas redneck and haven't changed my personality in 53 years. wink Pretty dang hard headed about things. Stuffed shirt types that want to tell me it is User Error and infer that me and everyone else on here are beneath them really pi$$ me off.

I wish Lowrance the best but me and my money go to Humminbird. Let's go fishing sometime. I'll drag my boat to Azle and let me wife go visit her mother while we go fish Eagle Mountain. I'll show you what that stuff you have marked looks like. cheers

Re: What fish finder is best on an aluminum boat? - 12/03/09 11:36 PM

Sounds good but I live about 2 minutes from the lake. If you are this way come on over and we can go in my boat.
Johnny
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum