Texas Fishing Forum

Helix Shutting Down

Posted By: 8upwithfishin'

Helix Shutting Down - 10/07/18 12:37 AM

Have a Helix Mega at console that shuts down sometimes while running above 45-50 mph. I'm using it to follow boat lanes. Wired directly to battery. Any ideas?
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Helix Shutting Down - 10/07/18 01:26 PM

Check to see if the cable collector is firmly attached to the back of the unit.

Re: Helix Shutting Down - 10/07/18 01:37 PM

Thx Wayne. Could it still be loose after hearing it click twice for both sides?
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Helix Shutting Down - 10/07/18 02:03 PM

Should not be but some still have that issue. Take the collector apart, check the way the cable is positioned, and re-assemble.
Posted By: BAIT956

Re: Helix Shutting Down - 10/07/18 04:57 PM

Wayne is right as always. It's likely a power issue. If the connectors are not the problem, try hooking it up to a dedicated battery.
I had a H-bird which was doing strange things like this. After switching to an isolated battery, no more problems.

Re: Helix Shutting Down - 10/07/18 09:59 PM

Boat is in storage and can't check until next fishing trip. When you say isolated, just for that one unit or can I run my other Helix to it?
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Helix Shutting Down - 10/08/18 06:11 AM

You should be able to run both on it. I'm sure by isolated he means isolated from the starter and other electronics to see if one of them is causing our issue.

Also check the wiring for it to make sure that you have the correct gauge and there are no problems there. Since it isn't caused by starting the motor but at high speeds I am guessing Wayne has the correct diagnosis for your problem.

Re: Helix Shutting Down - 10/08/18 09:16 PM

Ok, I will look into the cable collector. I had David at Shut Up & Fish install it. What gauge wire do I need?
Posted By: Boomerbrewer

Re: Helix Shutting Down - 10/10/18 11:11 PM

If you recently updated to software version 1.840 and have ipilot link there is a issue with the unit shuting down. The fix is to downgrade to 1.64 change some settings and upgrade back to 1.84.
Posted By: BAIT956

Re: Helix Shutting Down - 10/12/18 11:58 AM

Yes. Bobby got it right. By using a dedicated battery you can determine if it is a battery problem or something else, like Wayne said. Probably the connectors. I have an older H-bird with this problem too.

Re: Helix Shutting Down - 10/12/18 11:04 PM

It's a Mega and a little over a year old. Too much rain to check tomorrow. Thx to all.
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Helix Shutting Down - 10/19/18 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: 8upwithfishin'
Ok, I will look into the cable collector. I had David at Shut Up & Fish install it. What gauge wire do I need?

We ran each graph on a dedicated 14 gauge marine grade wire harness with an in-line fuse to the starting battery. No shortcuts were taken to the fuse panel and or accessories switch.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum