Texas Fishing Forum

what type of wood for pontoon runners

Posted By: Madatu

what type of wood for pontoon runners - 06/20/18 02:11 PM

Do i want to use yellow pine ? I am not sure what else there is ?
Posted By: hawghoover

Re: what type of wood for pontoon runners - 06/20/18 11:44 PM

no! use treated wood only! lowes or home depot
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: what type of wood for pontoon runners - 06/21/18 08:50 PM

Treated wood for sure.
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: what type of wood for pontoon runners - 06/21/18 09:09 PM

Treated wood for aluminum pontoons? Be sure to use quality carpet, glue them down good and staple them. Because if that carpet tears and the board comes into contact with bare aluminum, galvanic corrosion will take place because of the copper used in pressure treated boards. That and sometimes the green can bleed through your carpet and stain the pontoon.

I would stay away from pressure treated wood. Water activates the corrosion, salt increases the rate of corrosion. Use Cedar if you can, or regular wood, yes you will need to replace every few years with regular plywood, but repairing a pontoon where it sits on the bunk seems to be a more troublesome task.

Posted By: Madatu

Re: what type of wood for pontoon runners - 06/22/18 02:22 PM

I have heard how corrosion can eat the pontoon. I am kinda stumped. i do not want to hurt my old pontoon by installing treated wood on my aluminum pontoons. I also do not want to replace the runners every two to three years. I guess destroying the pontoons are worse than replacing the wood. I am having problems finding lumber 18 foot long. I guess when Lowe built the pontoon they special ordered parts. I replaced the deck on the toon this winter and used marine plywood so not to corrode the toons.
Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)

Re: what type of wood for pontoon runners - 06/22/18 02:29 PM

I just saw a post yesterday of a lumber yard with 18'...I'll see if I can find it and post link to lumber yard.

on the topic however, when I had my toon and thought about replacing runners I considered looking into using like hardee board or whatever that stuff is. Sold boat before I had to get serious about it, but you may want to look at it. let me go see if I can find that other post.
Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)

Re: what type of wood for pontoon runners - 06/22/18 02:30 PM

that was easy, just a couple post down. haha. here is the link

http://www.fortworthlumber.com/TreatedLumber.html
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum