Texas Fishing Forum

Offset mount for Minn Kota Ulterra

Posted By: chas1

Offset mount for Minn Kota Ulterra - 05/29/18 10:29 PM

I just recently purchased a new Ulterra with Auto-Deploy. It was mounted with a slide plate on it, so I can push it back when I load the boat (so as not to damage the trolling motor).

I saw a video of a gentleman who had mounted his trolling motor about 1 & 1/2' to the right side of the boat, not directly on the nose, like mine was installed. By doing this, you wouldn't have to slide the trolling motor back to avoid damage.

Have any of you had your trolling motor mounted offset, rather the front & center of the boat?
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Offset mount for Minn Kota Ulterra - 05/30/18 05:40 AM

I have never had a terrova or ulterra that had an issue on a boat loading or unloading from the trailer. There might be some that actually do have an issue but I think the makers of these mounts have put more of a scare out that you really need it to sell them than an actual need by the boater. I lined mine up with the angle of the bow and concentrated more on ensuring the head was inside the gunwale when stowed. In the deployed position the shaft actually comes down a little to the right and about 1- 1 1/2" behind the nose of the boat. It will not effect the handling of the boat either in trolling or spotlock.

You can usually make adjustments to the front support and roller, possibly even replacing the roller with a smaller diameter one if you need. You can also adjust how deep you put the trailer in the water to see if that helps you.

MK advises to not use the sliding plates on the Ulterra because of the auto deploy and forgetting to slide the mount. I won't use one because 1. There is no need for one and 2. I am afraid of forgetting to slide it forward and after floating the boat off the trailer, I don't want to watch it float away.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Offset mount for Minn Kota Ulterra - 05/30/18 10:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
I have never had a terrova or ulterra that had an issue on a boat loading or unloading from the trailer. There might be some that actually do have an issue but I think the makers of these mounts have put more of a scare out that you really need it to sell them than an actual need by the boater. I lined mine up with the angle of the bow and concentrated more on ensuring the head was inside the gunwale when stowed. In the deployed position the shaft actually comes down a little to the right and about 1- 1 1/2" behind the nose of the boat. It will not effect the handling of the boat either in trolling or spotlock.

You can usually make adjustments to the front support and roller, possibly even replacing the roller with a smaller diameter one if you need. You can also adjust how deep you put the trailer in the water to see if that helps you.

MK advises to not use the sliding plates on the Ulterra because of the auto deploy and forgetting to slide the mount. I won't use one because 1. There is no need for one and 2. I am afraid of forgetting to slide it forward and after floating the boat off the trailer, I don't want to watch it float away.

I used to think the same thing with my X5i until I loaded my boat at a steep ramp one day. I bought a quick release mount after that.
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: Offset mount for Minn Kota Ulterra - 05/30/18 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: chas1
I just recently purchased a new Ulterra with Auto-Deploy. It was mounted with a slide plate on it, so I can push it back when I load the boat (so as not to damage the trolling motor).

I saw a video of a gentleman who had mounted his trolling motor about 1 & 1/2' to the right side of the boat, not directly on the nose, like mine was installed. By doing this, you wouldn't have to slide the trolling motor back to avoid damage.

Have any of you had your trolling motor mounted offset, rather the front & center of the boat?

look up a guy on here called "Blue Nitro"... He make the "Lift saver"...its a trolling motor mount for this problem.
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: Offset mount for Minn Kota Ulterra - 06/01/18 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by TroyKing
Originally Posted by chas1

look up a guy on here called "Blue Nitro"... He make the "Lift saver"...its a trolling motor mount for this problem.

Thanks Troy for the Shout-Out. Sounds like he may be wanting to do something else but here is a YouTube video of the LiftSaver if he or anyones else is interested.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum