Texas Fishing Forum

Tin Boat Bottom Lock

Posted By: RedRanger521

Tin Boat Bottom Lock - 04/01/18 04:08 PM

I've been doing a little research on tin boats and transducers. I am wanting to know what is the best way to maintain bottom lock on a tin boat while running at high speed? Is it to put a transducer on a jackplate with a transducer shield/saver or what the other options are. I have seen a thing called an "alumaducer" which says it makes up for signal loss on shoot thru aluminum hull rigs. I really don't want to try it as it seems to not have the workability rate that I am looking for.

How do you Tin Boat guys maintain bottom lock while running at speed?

RR521
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Tin Boat Bottom Lock - 04/01/18 04:31 PM

Depends on what unit you are running whether si unit or just a 2d unit or 2d/di unit as far as tducer locations. I run a 2d transducer below the transmom step with a spring back bracket from transducer shield and saver with a y cable to the si transducer mounted higher up on transom. You want get 2d readings on plane with a Jack plate mount.
Posted By: MAK747

Re: Tin Boat Bottom Lock - 04/02/18 05:06 PM

As 44 Diesel pointed out, you wont get readings while on plane with the transducer mounted on the jackplate as it will be out of the water. If it were me, and it was just a 2D transducer, I would epoxy a SternMate or something similar on the transom and mount the transducer to it.That way you wouldn't need to drill any holes in the boat.

Re: Tin Boat Bottom Lock - 04/04/18 05:08 AM

I plan on running Side Imaging Units on the boat. I think I will have the problem solved-just gathering as much info as possible-thanks for the input!
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Tin Boat Bottom Lock - 04/09/18 02:12 AM

Curious, how will side imaging solve your "bottom lock" problem"?

Re: Tin Boat Bottom Lock - 04/09/18 01:22 PM

Side imaging really wouldn't solve "bottom lock"- I was responding to 44 Diesel and Mak747 as to what Units I was running and the types of transducers that I would have on the rig. My response as far as hoping to having the issue resolved is based on the gathering of more info-it has lead to the correct placement of transducers and maybe running multiple transducers with a splitter to get side imaging while not running.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum