Texas Fishing Forum

Humminbird Transducer Cable Repair?

Posted By: martyn

Humminbird Transducer Cable Repair? - 03/14/18 09:00 PM

Hey guys, I just about a week ago mounted a new Helix 5 Chirp DI/GPS unit on the bow of my jon boat. I mounted the transducer to the trolling motor. I have a Minn Kota Terrova and struggled the first couple of times managing the transducer cable with the spot lock feature. Well, yesterday the cable got severed, not sure how, but wondering if it is repairable, or do I need to just buy a new transducer?

Thanks.
Posted By: javelin150

Re: Humminbird Transducer Cable Repair? - 03/14/18 09:15 PM

Buy a new one. Very rarely can a transducer be repaired back to its original functionality.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: Humminbird Transducer Cable Repair? - 03/15/18 01:00 AM

New transducer.
Posted By: javelin150

Re: Humminbird Transducer Cable Repair? - 03/15/18 01:37 AM

Might want to look at the Precision Sonar Cable Guard to solve your transducer cable routing issue
Posted By: UJC

Re: Humminbird Transducer Cable Repair? - 03/15/18 02:56 AM

I reconnected the transducer cable for an HB587 HD CI something or other a few years ago. It got mangled. I cut it, stripped the main wire, stripped the seven individual wires, soldered each back, placed tin foil over each and used heat shrink to cover each one, then one major heat shrink over all of the wires. Finished the wrap with e-tape. It had a rather large bulge but worked perfectly.

It can be done successfully. If tried, beware it is a very tedious process.
Posted By: martyn

Re: Humminbird Transducer Cable Repair? - 03/15/18 12:58 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will likely order a new transducer today. The Precision Sonar Cable Guard looks interesting. I found a similar one online yesterday. I also found a youtube video showing how to route the cable through the shaft. Looks like a fairly simple procedure, so I will probably do that with my new transducer/cable:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G54WQVtErZ0
Posted By: sfw1960

Re: Humminbird Transducer Cable Repair? - 03/17/18 12:58 AM

Originally Posted By: UJC

It can be done successfully. If tried, beware it is a very tedious process.

I have done several HB HDSI XDCRs and that Sir, is an UNDERSTATEMENT!!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum