Texas Fishing Forum

Trolling motor repair

Posted By: TBS

Trolling motor repair - 01/28/18 10:31 PM

Who do you recommend to work on trolling motors. Preferably in the lake fork area.
Posted By: Jones Trolling Motor

Re: Trolling motor repair - 01/30/18 02:44 PM

I'm in Texarkana and can help you.
John
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Trolling motor repair - 01/30/18 05:20 PM

What brand? All Star is close to you.
Posted By: H2ODawg67

Re: Trolling motor repair - 01/31/18 02:02 AM

On site. It's on the right side of driveway to Lake Fork Marina.
Posted By: LakeForkBoatAccessories

Re: Trolling motor repair - 01/31/18 02:10 PM

FYI On site been gone a long time. Sartin Marine for Minn Kota, Lakeside Trolling Motors for Motorguide. Good luck.

Re: Trolling motor repair - 02/01/18 01:48 AM

Hey John, I have actually used you before when I happen to be in your area, and you are awesome. But a little far to drive right now.

It is a minn Kota. Runs good but after you have it on for a few seconds it starts to vibrate real bad.

Re: Trolling motor repair - 02/01/18 06:46 PM

Have y'all had good luck with Sartin Marine ?
I've never used them.
Posted By: pop r

Re: Trolling motor repair - 02/02/18 02:33 AM

You may want to remove the propeller and check for fishing line build up. I happen to me once and it drove me crazy.
Good Luck!
Posted By: pop r

Re: Trolling motor repair - 02/02/18 02:37 AM

You may want to remove the propeller and check for fishing line build up. It happen to me once and it drove me nuts till I found the line pressing on the motor shaft and seal causing the motor to heat up and shake.

Re: Trolling motor repair - 02/02/18 02:37 AM

I did that tonight and it was all clear. With the prop off and out of the water, it will spin for a second or two and then start vibrating. The shaft does not seem to have any play in it, but there might be an internal bearing going out.
Posted By: Jones Trolling Motor

Re: Trolling motor repair - 02/02/18 01:14 PM

Remove one bolt and see if it shows signs of water intrusion.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Trolling motor repair - 02/02/18 06:04 PM

I believe that shop is gone.

Re: Trolling motor repair - 02/04/18 04:31 PM

Well I took the trolling motor to a shop Saturday and they could find nothing wrong. I actually watched them bench test it and there was no vibration. The pin on the prop was bent so they replaced it thinking it might have thrown the prop out of balance. $35 fee for a bench test. Was a little frustrated at the cost and really nothing done, but they did spend about 15 minutes looking at it so I understand. I get it home and hook it back to the boat, and guess what, yep, it still vibrates.

Could it have something to do with the power supply. It is a 24 volt motor. It turns on and runs fine for about 3 seconds and the then it slows down and starts to vibrate. It noticeably slows down. I can get off the switch and then back on and sometimes it will run smooth, but most of the time it will start to vibrate after a few seconds. Any thoughts?
Posted By: LakeForkBoatAccessories

Re: Trolling motor repair - 02/04/18 07:31 PM

Check all your battery terminals for loose crimps and corrosion. Idk if it is plugged or hardwired at the bow, but check all of those connections. You may need to load test your batteries. If the motor tested ok then problem is probably in the boat. Good luck.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum