Texas Fishing Forum

inflatable life vests

Posted By: BAIT956

inflatable life vests - 01/15/18 06:45 PM

The latest tragedy at LOP has gotten me to thinking. I'm 71, fish alone most of the time and never wear a life vest. I have fallen out of the boat several time over the years, but needless to say, I was younger then and always was able to get to shore and back in the boat.
Stupid, I know, but I'm gong to change that. Thinking inflatables. What brand, type, size etc would you guys recommend? Price being a consideration, but I realize too cheap means it may not be quality and If you ever need it, you want the best you can get.
Please chime in.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: inflatable life vests - 01/15/18 07:40 PM

Mustang. Expensive but top of the line for inflatables. I have a pair of the BPS inflatables and have had them blow up when stored in a damp compartment.

I only wear the inflatables when duck hunting now. I wear a full vest (traditional) when running in my bass boat, just like the extra protection a full vest gives if you get thrown out while running.
Posted By: Dayne

Re: inflatable life vests - 01/15/18 08:17 PM

I wear the inflatable in the winter. I use the auto inflate. I think they are called SOSpenders.
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: inflatable life vests - 01/16/18 12:18 AM

Let me know if you see something of interest and I will see if any discounts may apply....

http://www.shut-up-and-fish.com/advanced...age_per_row=100

http://www.shut-up-and-fish.com/advanced...age_per_row=100

Posted By: ToadThrower

Re: inflatable life vests - 01/16/18 02:34 AM

I wear the Mustang Auto inflatable, Elite HIT, I prefer the one made for kayaks...it has the manual activate handle at the chest level and not the rope tag that hangs out the bottom of others...The HIT wont activate until it is submerged in 4 inches or more of water...so you dont have to worry about it dischargin in heavy rain. I am now on my second mustang the first one lasted 10 years and I wear it every time I get on the boat, actually put it on when I get out of the truck and usually forget I have it on...very comfortable and it is a Type II , so if you do fall out of the boat ,and hit your head...this has the inflatable collar behind your head that will most cases turn you face up....they also have more buoyancy than the foam. Coast guard guy once told me the best life jacket is the one that you will always wear..
Posted By: TX0303

Re: inflatable life vests - 01/23/18 11:18 PM

I wear the Onyx from Academy. They sell the recharge kits there as well.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: inflatable life vests - 01/24/18 06:24 AM

Been thinking the same thing. I just have regular vests and never wear them but I am alone 95% of the time and like to fish nights. I've been thinking about the inflatables also but want one thats affordable but reliable enough not to auto inflate in the rain or locker. So many out there but unsure of which one. Mustangs are higher than I want to pay right now because if I buy one for me I'll buy a second for a passenger too.
Posted By: MMosher

Re: inflatable life vests - 01/25/18 04:42 PM

I went to one last year. Just leave it on and forget about it. I'll double up with a regular vest when running.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum