Texas Fishing Forum

I have a problem Lowrance

Posted By: Texas Sam

I have a problem Lowrance - 01/11/18 10:06 PM

I have a problem Lowrance: I have two Lowrance Gen2 touch systems a 12 inch at the console (it has it own LSS-2 unit mounted on the Jackplate) and 7 inch at the bow, they are connected to each other. I once had a Totally worthless Spot Light attached to the trolling motor, I have replaced it with an LSS-2 on the trolling motor. I have updated my software and both units. What is happening is the 12 inch Console only allows down image and Spotlight (no right/left scans) I called Lowrance and the person told to to make sure to remove spot light form the device menu and make sure I do not select the spot light transducer (did everything they stated) and then reset the unit. I did this and it work just like it is supposed for about 3 hrs, then it would not allow me do side scan images. I can reset the unit and sometimes this fixes the issue. This only happens on the console unit. If I connect my console unit to the bow transducer, then I can get side scan. When I switch back to “this unit” at the console I only get DI and Spotlight. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: I have a problem Lowrance - 01/11/18 11:25 PM

Where do you live? Might be easier for someone to look at your settings vs trying to explain what needs to be set how.

Re: I have a problem Lowrance - 01/11/18 11:54 PM

I Live in Coppell, TX (near DFW)

From my understanding there is very limited places where you can select the transducer type per the Lawrance Tech I spoke to. BUT I am asking for help so I am grateful for the suggestion.

thanks
Posted By: jfdawson

Re: I have a problem Lowrance - 01/12/18 12:16 AM

Go to Settings.. Then click Sonar, then click installation.. under transducer type, what does it say?

Re: I have a problem Lowrance - 01/12/18 02:04 AM

JFdawson, do you remember if there is a “spotlight scan” turn on/off option in the advanced (or setup) menu? I know the structure scan has that option, I just can’t remember on the spotlight.

I’ll try to remember to look tomorrow night, has to be a way to keep it off.

Re: I have a problem Lowrance - 01/12/18 04:21 AM

What I was told by the Lawrence tech was to:

Pages>setting>system>advance>features>spotlight should be off

that is what it is currently setting "OFF" and it will only allow two option in SS mode down and spotlight.

If I play with it, sometimes it will allow me to get side scan, but without doing except chasing for DI to SI, in an hour or two, it will then revert back to DI and Spotlight.

When I revert to factory setting, that will help for a while but it will start doing it again.

Re: I have a problem Lowrance - 01/12/18 04:21 AM

What I was told by the Lawrence tech was to:

that is what it is currently setting "OFF" and it will only allow two option in SS mode down and spotlight.

If I play with it, sometimes it will allow me to get side scan, but without doing except chasing for DI to SI, in an hour or two, it will then revert back to DI and Spotlight.

When I revert to factory setting, that will help for a while but it will start doing it again.

Re: I have a problem Lowrance - 01/12/18 02:06 PM

Sam, have you updated your graphs to a different update? Maybe your current update is screwed up???
Posted By: MAK747

Re: I have a problem Lowrance - 01/12/18 09:00 PM

Make sure to turn off the Spotlight feature on both units. I would then try resetting the console unit. Make sure to backup you WRT and setting prior to performing the hard reset as it will wipe everything out.

Soft Reset HDS units
(does not delete user data)
--turn unit OFF
--press and hold the PAGES button
--press and release the POWER button
--release all buttons when the HDS logo appears.

Hard Reset HDS units
(deletes stored user data such as settings, waypoints, routes and trails) Back up your files to a SD card first!

--turn unit OFF
--press and hold both the ZIN and ZOUT buttons
--press and release the POWER button
--release all buttons when the HDS logo appears.

Re: I have a problem Lowrance - 01/12/18 09:55 PM

to all those who are trying to help, Thanks. I will try and answer some of the questions posed too me:

jfdawson: Go to Settings.. Then click Sonar, then click installation.. under transducer type, what does it say?

PDT-WBL/PDT-WSU

Wanted to make I sure was on local

Setting>Network>Data Sources>Sonar>StructureDepth> "this device"

went and checked SS to see what views I had, I had DI and NOW SS. The problem is intermittent and it looks like it may be working NOW. BUT it will switch back to Spotlight I have no doubt.

One thing i did notice was the following screen as I was rechecking settings

However, DI and SS appeared to be work (out of water)

Tomorrow, I will reload a version of the software system and follow what MAK747 suggest and maybe get the boat on the water
Posted By: jfdawson

Re: I have a problem Lowrance - 01/12/18 11:02 PM

Have you done a HArd reset? If not, I would back everything up: trails, waypoints,etc.. And do a hard reset. Because you describe "intermittent" issue, I tend to think you have a Memory issue and hard reset should help you.

Re: I have a problem Lowrance - 01/13/18 12:17 AM

jf, I have tried this in the past and it did not help. I will reload the latest software, after I do a hard reset. One idea I had was to take the setting off of the bow unit and load those setting into the 12.

just frustrating

Re: I have a problem Lowrance - 01/13/18 10:29 PM

Let us know if you get it to work properly, I can’t say that I’ve read many issues like this.

Re: I have a problem Lowrance - 01/14/18 02:03 AM

To all those who are helping me, I tried everything and suggested and put the boat on the water. Everything was working like it was supposed to. After about two hours, it started to do what it normally does, limiting me only to DI and Spotlight. At that point, I switched transducer from Console (this Unit) to the HD7 at the bow with its' own LSS2 transducer. It started to work correctly, switched back to the console and it own transducer and it work like it should be.

Just wondering if there is an issue with my Console transducer? (can it get confused?)

Anyway, this is what happened today.

No solution yet
Posted By: LakeForkBoatAccessories

Re: I have a problem Lowrance - 01/14/18 02:50 PM

Did you set the bow unit the same as the console unit?

Re: I have a problem Lowrance - 01/14/18 05:06 PM

The bow unit and console are set the same. To be 100% sure I also copied the Bow setting onto a chip and the install those settings on the Console. It worked for a while then it changed back.

Other than this on the console unit, it works exactly like should.

Next trip out I plan to take the bow unit and install in at the console.

Re: I have a problem Lowrance - 01/14/18 07:57 PM

You did install the newest update on lowrances website, right? Sometimes they’ll have a bad software update and then they’ll release a new update to fix issues.

Re: I have a problem Lowrance - 01/14/18 08:55 PM

Yes the latest has been installed. Did that when the problem 1st started and overtime there is an update, I install it.

Re: I have a problem Lowrance - 01/15/18 01:54 AM

Geez.... how long have you had these graphs? Any chance of sending it back in?
Posted By: UJC

Re: I have a problem Lowrance - 01/15/18 07:07 PM

Ok, you've done hard resets, probably soft resets, checked software, etc. So you've deleted wpts/trails, etc. If you haven't 'Purged' wpts/trails, then you need to do that. That will free up memory. Just because they are deleted, wpts/trails stay internal memory. Purging will free up memory and the unit's speed can usually seem to run faster. On Gen 1s, this is a major issue because there is only one menu that allows for purging and it is not documented in the manuals. Fortunately, purging is part of the deletion menus in Gens 2+.

I'm going by memory (I have a Gen 2 and 3). Go to the 'FILE' menu, scroll to Wpts/Routes/Trails, highlight, touch/press enter, then Details. I may have this a little mixed up but it should get you close enough to figure out. The screen will display how many wpts/trails and space it is taking up. Keep this in mind. Every time a wpt/trail (not sure it does this for trails) the wpt remains stored but not completely removed. It must be Purged for complete removal. Just be sure wpts/trails are safely saved to a card before purging. I am not completely sure if a hard reset removes the wpts/trails from the 'black hole'.

For example, if a unit has NEVER had any wpts and it is loaded with a 1000 wpts, then these 1000 wpts are deleted, they will show deleted on the wpt/route/trails menu screen; however, if you go to the FILE menu, click wpts/routes/trails, then details, it will show you 1000 wpts in the 'black hole'. These take up memory. This is why my GEN 1 HDS 8 'blew up'. Lowrance has updated menus, screens and documentation on this major overlooked instruction.

I don't think this is your problem, but at least it will give you more memory if in fact, you have been deleting but not purging wpts.

I'd still probably have my Gen 1s if I had known this. When fishing a lake, I only have the wpts/trails for that lake on my unit - or at least I thought, before I knew about purging, which I learned too late in the game. I have several lakes with over a 1k of wpts, and many 'safe' trails, mini trails, connector trails, etc. I fish a lot of timber so with TOW, I create safe passage, especially in low water conditions that I can use when the lake is higher.

After returning from a fishing trip, and preparing to fish a different lake, I will save those wpts/trails, to a card and computer, make updates on the computer as needed (skipping all the complicated stuff I do), then delete the existing wpts/trails on the units after safely storing that info, then DELETE them, and load the next lake's wpts/trails. BUT - the deleted wpts are still there because I didn't know about PURGE. I actually read the documentation manuals and Lowrance never had PURGE in their manuals for GEN 1. A search on the .pdf file shows no 'purge'. If I had deleted and then purged the wpts/trails, I probably would still have the Gen 1s, as they were good units. With ROTSITIN, how many more fish am I going to catch in a year's time?

I don't know if you mentioned it in your posts above, but try connecting the Ethernet cable to one of the other LSS ports if you haven't already. A good friend and I both had a somewhat different issue a while back with 'No Structure Scan'. It would work intermittently. Mine worked most of the time and his worked seldom. We bought new Ethernet cables and the issue went away for both of us - just a thought.

Good luck!

Re: I have a problem Lowrance - 01/16/18 12:35 AM

UJC, thanks for the info, I will try the purge as you suggest. My thinking has been that it is either a software issue in that I truly was not clearing out everything from memory or the LSS2 is malfunctioning and telling the console it is a spotlight unit.

But as soon as I can I will try your suggestions.

I went to theFun n Sun event this weekend and spoke to Clyde McAfee, lowrance Pro staff, and he said, the next time I am on Fork and if the unit is still acting up he offer to help me out.

thanks
Sam
Posted By: Jason Gilstrap

Re: I have a problem Lowrance - 01/17/18 02:14 AM

Did you complete remove your spot light transducer kit? ie spot light nmea cord to your nmea set up.

Re: I have a problem Lowrance - 01/17/18 03:31 AM

I have removed it completely. I replaced the Spotlight Transducer completely. It was replaced with an LSS2 mounted at the trolling motor. The bow unit is connected to this transducer and has never been a problem. (the console unit is the one that is acting up)

I have several thing to try per suggestions above:

reload operating system
purge memory completely
disconnect connections between the two units (E and nmea)
last resort replace console LLS2 transducer

Re: I have a problem Lowrance - 01/19/18 06:58 PM

To everyone who gave me suggestions thank you.

End result is the transducer is bad, when I put an old LSS-1 on (just for testing) the issue did not reappear, changed back to the old LSS-2 transducer, the problem appeared.

I suspect there is an open or short in the LSS-2 unit telling the Console that a Spotlight is attached.

It nows works like it should
Posted By: W B

Re: I have a problem Lowrance - 01/20/18 02:22 AM

Me head hurts.. lol

Re: I have a problem Lowrance - 01/20/18 03:02 AM

I never would have thought, glad to hear that you figured it out though.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum