Texas Fishing Forum

It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing,

Posted By: redwigglr

It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/12/15 01:29 AM

Finally we are all going to be able to get into some big money tournaments with the mlf format.You will use your own boat in each tournament & have $300,000 liability insurance on the boat. You will have a military veteran in each of your boats with you that will conduct all the same rules, on the water scoretracker, updates & using mlf scales. Same schedule also, fish 2 hrs then a half hour break at a rendezvous point will be the same for all three periods. Must pay 30 days in advance, because it will be a limited entry. Would like to see a 60 guy field. Fish each monthly tournament with a one time $45 membership fee along with a $500 entry fee for each of the 12 tournament's. The grand prize will be $10,000 plus prizes per tournament. I am currently getting more corporate sponsors involved. Then the top 12 guys from the tournament's will fish the year end championship for free for a chance to win 1st place 25,000 guaranteed. The regular tournaments will be of 30 guys Friday ,another 30 on saturday, then the top 15 from both days fish it out sunday. I will be picking the top bass lakes in texas for big cut off weights. The lake will be announced 30 days before the tournament. No prefishing 7 days before the tournament. This will be alot of fun, texas sized prizes & frustrating all at the same time. Any questions fell free to pm me . The website is currently under construction. I think this will be exciting. Also looking at a 2 place payout & prizes if we can get a full field. More to come. Also looking to televise this.

Thanks Mike Webb commissioner of TLF.

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/12/15 01:30 AM

Wanting to run tournaments the 3rd weekend of each month. Starting in april
Posted By: blueduck

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/12/15 01:52 AM

Sounds interesting. I'll pm you with several questions later.
Posted By: Peter L.

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/12/15 03:34 AM

That sounds cool...If only I had the funds to do it frown
Posted By: Red Eye Bandit

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/12/15 03:50 AM

Sounds good to me.
Posted By: Jetter007

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/12/15 02:29 PM

This is a great concept! Turn out should be Texas size, because the Prizes definately are.
I love watching MLF on TV, so this format should really take off here in TX. I can't wait to see the website and the final break down of all the supporting sponsors, lakes, rules and the possibility of this being televised.
Great job Redwigglr!

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/13/15 12:13 AM

Thank you guys, working on alot of sponsors to make it even more interesting. Give me a couple days and there will be more. I will take all the feedback I can get. Thank you.
Posted By: Jay Kendrick

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/13/15 01:50 AM

so the winner of each monthly tournament goes to the championship??
Posted By: Walls

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/13/15 02:42 AM

So you're hoping for a 60 man field at $500 a man ($30,000) and you're planning to pay out one place at $10,000 and maybe one more?

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/13/15 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: chasinbass
So you're hoping for a 60 man field at $500 a man ($30,000) and you're planning to pay out one place at $10,000 and maybe one more?

I was looking at that as well.
Posted By: ugotthatcash

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/13/15 08:33 AM

Sounds awesome all except the $500 per event with $10,000 for first place only.Also MLF doesn't let anyone pre fish any of their lakes and have any knowledge of the lake they are gonna be competing at.Why not just do it in regions like north,east,west and south and let everybody fish 4 in each region with the top anglers from each region come to a championship.That way you could keep the challenge and concept the same as MLF ......Let anybody that wants to fish in their region pay up 30 days in advance,then pick your available lakes within a certain area in each region that's fishable,and announce the lake on the Wensday or Thursday before the tournament weekend.The whole concept of MLF is about them getting 15 minutes to drive around and use what tackle and techniques and knowledge to go find fish in the 3 fishing periods.I just feel like if you are gonna let everyone prefish 3 weeks in advance it is no different than the rest of the big tournament trails,not saying a TFL isn't a bad idea,but with a steep entry fee like $500 and not including a 3 day expense of food,lodging,and fuel for a weekend.And then you would have to spend three weeks up to the event driving to who knows where in texas to pre fish so that you don't get beat out by a local and remember it's only paying 1st place.Sounds like a great idea but why change the way MFL does it.It is my favorite fishing show and The thing that I myself and friends I talk to about it,are amazed of how they show up at the motel and know nothing of where they are gonna fish at that day,and go find fish.And sponsors are people with a product of some type that want their product or business recognized,so why is the goal to get 60 anglers at each one for $30,000 and 12 events that equal up to $360,000.00 and your only paying out $145,000.00 all year,Im just wondering what kind of prizes you would be giving away for second with $215,000.00.Maybe the sponsors should want to give free product out to get recognized and seen to boost their business,just my opinion after I read your post.I am all for the concept and think this could be awesome and hope you get this thing up and going.It is fun and not to mention saves our fisheries by catch and release.So please don't be mad or think I'm against it,I'll be trying to fish it when it happens.

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/13/15 03:57 PM

Thank you thats what I was wanting to here some feedback. Because it's going to happen, I just need to finalize things with sponsors. I have to bring in enough to cover the military veterans each tournament. Plus I am trying to get it to where they will get breakfest & dinners on the league. So we can give back to them. Mlf is helping get this started, please keep sending feed back. I want it to be just like the same experience also.

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/13/15 03:59 PM

And the extra money is going to the cup fee & the $25000 in the championship.

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/13/15 05:24 PM

Yeah I agree with the no pre fishing and not announcing the lake, just announce a location to meet the evening before the tournament, And take them to the lake the morning of the tournament. That's the most even playing field possible.

The only problem you're going to run in to with this is locals who sign up could be fishing the lake the tournament is on in advance and you can't really tell someone not to go fishing. I still think it's better than allowing pre fishing time and time for people to get info on the lake.
Posted By: bigcat85

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/13/15 06:26 PM

ill need more explanation on the money part. 12 tournaments $500 entry with 60 people is $360,000. pay out $120,000. $240,000 left i would hope you could pay $25,000 at the championship? not including the $45 dollar membership from each person. This does not include sponsor money either.

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/13/15 06:40 PM

I agree with telling the lake that morning and then everyone meets at one spot the day before. The money isn't final yet, like I said I am working on making this an awesome tournament. This is just getting the ball rolling while I finish up with sponsors.
Posted By: cwoodfishing

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/14/15 06:44 AM

Yea this would be a really cool deal but the money situation could be a deal breaker for a lot of people. I will pay a $500.00 entry fee all day long but not on this kind of pay back. I understand taking care of the Veterans but even after paying out the championship there is 215k left not including membership and sponsors. I would say pay out 1st 2nd and 3rd and pay back A LOT more money!
Posted By: One More

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/14/15 07:06 PM

Awsome idea but not with that payout. What happened to the standard 85%+ payback? Think you would have lot more interest with that type of payout. Paying back 85%+ would give you the ability to payback to the daily flights and the top finishers on sunday. How much are you paying yourself?? Seems a little fishy no pun intended.

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/15/15 05:08 PM

Sounds good, like I said it was put out there to hear feedback from the ones entered.
Posted By: J. P. Duran

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/15/15 10:48 PM

Mike,
Looking forward to hearing more about TLF in the next few months as I will definitely be considering fishing as schedules permit. Good luck securing all sponsors as needed. I realize this is a tremendous undertaking and think guys are not realizing the costs that you may be dealing with as this moves forward. I just put a few numbers together and can't see anyway there would be an 85% payback without the right sponsors or raising the entry fee. I only base this on your marshalls not being local. 3 days of meals-4 days of lodging-cost of fuel for 30 marshalls maybe a couple of backups-cost of tablet/phones-monthly service, insurance for TLF plus your costs/salary. All this doesn't leave $215.000.00 to pay back.
Good luck and looking forward.

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/15/15 11:03 PM

Thank you J.P that's how I am looking at it also. Hopefully a lot of sponsor help. Will keep you updated.
Posted By: ugotthatcash

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/16/15 04:12 AM

I feel if you would lower your $10,000 for 1st @ each event and spread out the payout to maybe $5000 for 1st,$3000 2nd, and $1500 for 3rd and then if you get prizes,pass them out clear to 6th place,and then take your 1st - 3rd winners from each get a spot at the championship.But are not eligible to fish anymore TFL qualifiers the rest of the year.That way at your state finals you have the best 36 anglers of the year fishing against each other at the finals.And for the judges and cost of tablets...most everyone has a smartphone,iPhone or whatever,and you could have each judge text their anglers weights in to one person that would could keep the score tracker and could send group text messages out to judges as they receive new weights.I think this would be a lot easier than having to buy 30 iPads or whatever.But I still feel you should break this up into 4 regions,Texas is a pretty big state and has a lot of lakes and you could get more intrested people to play along if they can stay closer to home than having to drive to Lake Amistad one week and then to OH Ivie,then Lake Falcon etc.if they knew that when they entered that they wouldn't need to take a weeks vacation each month to get to each one,I just feel you would get more anglers involved.But coming from an angler that has to be at work each week,I myself wouldn't be excited to join,knowing I might get a notice that I have to drive to lake amistad or Falcon to fish all weekend and then if I made the top whatever to fish sunday,I would have to drive all the way back to the metroplex to be at work on Monday.Not to mention that my company and I feel everyone else's company require a two week notice for requesting vacation time.
Posted By: Cmac78

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/16/15 07:36 AM

I'm anxious to see how this finally turns out. Would be interested when there is more clarity on all aspects.
On watch
Posted By: Skeeter man ZX225

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/16/15 11:32 AM

entry fee is too high
Posted By: GunSho

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/16/15 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Skeeter man ZX225
entry fee is too high

Entry fee is good, makes it worthwhile

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/17/15 02:14 PM

Bump
Posted By: NitroUSAF

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/17/15 03:37 PM

This is an interesting concept to bring MLF down to the weekend angler’s level; although the entry fee is somewhat high for one spot payout. Hopefully you get more sponsors so that can be lowered. This format will definitely will peak some interest from near and far. I must agree with several individuals that the lakes should not be announced. This is what makes MLF so interesting, no one get to practice and has a disadvantage on knowing what lake they are going to fish. Eliminates the jack potters. I think that’s what everyone wants, an equal chance to win. You’re either in or you out, no matter what lake is chosen. This is one reason why many do not fish other circuits, because it the same lakes over and over, year after year and it is scheduled in advance, certain anglers will only pick the lake they are good on. Like Mr. J. P. Duran said, this is a huge undertaking and many are not considering misc. cost… “your marshalls not being local. 3 days of meals-4 days of lodging-cost of fuel for 30 marshalls maybe a couple of backups-cost of tablet/phones-monthly service, insurance for TLF plus your costs/salary.” I will follow this because it definitely has my interest…with some minor adjustments; I think you have a winning plan that can be very successful.

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/18/15 01:49 PM

Thank you nitrousaf. Working on making it work. Thanks Mike
Posted By: BThomas

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/19/15 11:06 PM

Will it be televised on the Outdoor channel or you tube ?
Posted By: KB1953

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/20/15 02:35 AM

loco

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/20/15 06:10 PM

Working on that now. Thanks

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/21/15 11:52 PM

More and more sponsors each day, will update soon. Still want input. Thanks Mike

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/23/15 06:55 PM

More good things are coming along.
Posted By: Brandon Dickenson

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/23/15 07:34 PM

Smaller field and weighing them in on the lake would certainly allow the events to be on lakes that are slot lakes and get zero tournament pressure. A lot of lakes out there that could work that most anglers have probably never seen.
Posted By: blakeT414

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/24/15 06:13 AM

lake should not be announced until week before, ONLY for time to find lodging for the tourney. But that week is still off limits!!! but other than that it sounds great!!

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/25/15 07:01 PM

Keep the suggestion's coming guys.
Posted By: YankHardReelFast

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/25/15 07:50 PM

I really think the MLF format could catch on in amateur bass fishing. It adds an element on the water we've never seen before with the on-the-water updates. You know exactly where you stand each and every minute of the tournament.

You asked for feedback, so here is my opinion of little bit of format you've given us:

1) I personally don't care for the idea of prizes. I think that is wasted money that could be paid back to us in cash. I can't tell you how many prizes I've gotten over the years that are nice prizes, but I don't use them because they are not the right size, length, action, color, weight, brand or maybe it's just junk.
2) For a $500 entry fee and competing against a 60 man field, I think you have to pay more than 1 hole. I would hate to finish 2nd and beat 58 guys only to still be $500 in the red (plus expenses). With $500 entry fees, there is enough money to pay 4-6 places.
3) I don't like the idea of the Friday tournament. We are all going to be fighting to be entered on Saturday. The vast majority of us have day jobs and it doesn't help that we will have to take off a day to come fish. Other than the cost of the additional equipment, there is no reason you couldn't allow all 60 to fish Saturday then cut down to 30 for Sunday. This also doesn't require a guy that drives 4+ hours to fish on Friday to have an extra night of hotel room and hang around a full day that he doesn't get to fish.
4) Be sure you get you plenty of help. The undertaking you're talking about incur is nothing small. You have one chance to make a first impression. Fishermen are finicky people. Mess up once and many are going to be done with you. It's better to have plenty of support in the beginning and turn them loose, than to scramble trying to find help once you find out you don't need it.
5) Be fair with the payout. Most of us understand you aren't doing this for fun. You are doing this as a business and plan to make a profit. A fair profit for you is acceptable. When you start gouging us, your entries will reflect the ill effect.
6) Finally, run an honest trail. Make EVERYONE play by the same rules and stand up for what is right. If you have a rule in print, then enforce that rule. Don't be afraid to approach someone to question them about a rule infraction. Allowing something "shady" to go on will ruin a trail faster than anything.

I wish you only the best. I'll be the first guy to sign up for your tournament once you get things finalized.

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 02/27/15 07:50 PM

Good day for a tournament. Lol. Up to 3&HALF inches of snow here, now sleeting
Posted By: ShallowWaterKing

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 03/03/15 04:21 AM

$500 entry fee is Little much...maybe like $300 entry fee. I don't know many people who have the money to run a circuit like that, even the best Anglers in Texas would agree that's kinda high. And practice takes the fun out of it...fish it like MLF if you wanna be the TLF. I'm just saying that it's a great idea but lower the entry fees. Even at $300 a tournament it's still $3600 a year..that's a lot on top of travel and expenses. Pay spots at each event 1/4 spots paid out or something like that.
Posted By: Spike7444

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 03/04/15 02:59 AM

Awesome job keep us updated on the process can't wait to fish a couple of these.
Posted By: Steven Hennige

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 03/04/15 02:24 PM

Is this going to be run as a series ? or can i just fish 1 or 2 events ?

I hear lots of people trying to make this concept work.
Approach youth fisherman, high school, college etc, great opportunity for them to watch and learn tournament skills. These guys are the future of the tournament scene.

Only none extra person on boat format i have seen uses, go pro camera's and weight lock scales that record up to 15 fish weights. scales are turned in at time point weight recorded and cleared.
Posted By: jwatts77

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 03/04/15 06:14 PM

eeks
Posted By: Weekender1

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 03/05/15 01:07 AM

This is a great idea. I hope you can get it off the ground. I will do everything in my power to be able to fish in this. I was doing some quick number crunching and just with what I could think of. You would have 30 Vets doing the weighing. at 45.00 a day for meals, 65 a day for hotels, and 50.00 for pay to them. That is 160.00 a day per Vet. 480 each for the 3 days. So basically paying 10k to 1st would leave 5k per tourney to build towards the championship. If the Champion ship has no entry but will still have 12 Vets for the Championship. That would cost 6k. Over the course of the year there is going to be at least 10k of overhead (unknown expense). A 25k payout. So really if you are questioning his payout you are worrying about 19k for the year. Maybe he could offer 10k for 2nd at the Championship and then there would be a 9k question... Just a quick analysis. If I could make the dates I would be in.

Jody

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 03/05/15 04:02 PM

Thank you. You see the expenses.
Posted By: blueduck

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 03/15/15 11:28 PM

Ten days with no update or news. de
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 03/17/15 01:41 PM

I'm very interested in the idea. But as others have stated, 12 tournaments is a lot of time off from work for most people.

I like the idea of breaking it into 4 regions - 1 tournament each (4 total + championship). You could cut costs that way and once you get the bugs worked out, expand to more tournaments per region if that's your goal. And to get around the advance notice and hotel reservations issue, Texas has several towns that could be a hub, allowing you to announce the lake the morning of the tournament. Tyler could hold one, Palestine, Tyler, Cedar Creek, Jacksonville, Athens would all be within an hours drive. Pines isn't that far either. Anywhere in North DFW would allow Ray Hubbard, Lewisville, Grapevine, Worth or Eagle Mountain to be picked. Take your top 3 guys from each division and have your championship on some off the wall lake. By only having 12 guys, you would have the luxury of many small lakes that people don't fish much.

2cents

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 03/27/15 01:18 AM

TTT
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 05/28/15 10:51 PM

What ever happened with this ?
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 05/28/15 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Tiltman
What ever happened with this ?

+1

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 06/01/15 04:30 PM

Finishing with sponsors and want to make it where everyones input is listened too. It's coming, I have the DBA and a lot of work in it now.

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 06/01/15 05:42 PM

You have been working this going on 5 months. Is the kick-off going to be 2018 ?
Posted By: Red Eye Bandit

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 06/01/15 09:37 PM

popcorn2

Re: It's Here. TLF Texas League Fishing, - 06/02/15 04:38 PM

I have a boat business also, so I am doing this the best I can right now. Thank you
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum