Texas Fishing Forum

Looking for feedback on Sportsman's Finest in Bee Caves, Texas

Posted By: CodyDog

Looking for feedback on Sportsman's Finest in Bee Caves, Texas - 10/26/17 02:15 AM

I have decided to get into Fly Fishing and now I'm looking for gear. Sportsman's Finest in Bee Caves in close to the house and seems to be a huge outfitter for fly fishing.

Is this the place to go to get a start or would I be better suited going to a Bass pro or Cabelas to purchase entry level gear?

Also, what type of level of gear should I go for? I usually stick with things that I get into for quite a while so I'm not adverse to purchasing nicer stuff.

Any input will be appreciated.
Posted By: MassAction

Re: Looking for feedback on Sportsman's Finest in Bee Caves, Texas - 10/26/17 02:26 AM

Sportsman's finest is pretty good. They have a casting pond and will let you try things out before you buy and the staff is pretty knowledgeable from my experience.

I would also suggest you drive a short distance more and go see Chris at Living Waters in Round Rock. He's incredibly knowledgeable, they frequently host weekend seminars to help introduce newcomers to fly fishing and is as honest as a person can be. He will not oversell you or pressure you into buying something you don't want or need.

Fly fishing is like any other sport or hobby, no matter what your budget is, there is a way to exceed it. The most important thing is to get out and get started in the sport so you can enjoy it. Personally, I would invest in a $200-300 rod with a lifetime guarantee, a $80-100 line, and a $50-60 reel to get started. Then in a year or two you will be ready for a heavier weight rod, or know what you want in a replacement.

Hemming and hawing over gear is fun, but it's nothing compared to feeling a fish smash a fly and put a bend in your rod.
Posted By: CodyDog

Re: Looking for feedback on Sportsman's Finest in Bee Caves, Texas - 10/26/17 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: MassAction
Sportsman's finest is pretty good. They have a casting pond and will let you try things out before you buy and the staff is pretty knowledgeable from my experience.

I would also suggest you drive a short distance more and go see Chris at Living Waters in Round Rock. He's incredibly knowledgeable, they frequently host weekend seminars to help introduce newcomers to fly fishing and is as honest as a person can be. He will not oversell you or pressure you into buying something you don't want or need.

Fly fishing is like any other sport or hobby, no matter what your budget is, there is a way to exceed it. The most important thing is to get out and get started in the sport so you can enjoy it. Personally, I would invest in a $200-300 rod with a lifetime guarantee, a $80-100 line, and a $50-60 reel to get started. Then in a year or two you will be ready for a heavier weight rod, or know what you want in a replacement.

Hemming and hawing over gear is fun, but it's nothing compared to feeling a fish smash a fly and put a bend in your rod.

Thank you for your response. I will look into Living Waters in Round Rock.
Posted By: 2dogkayak

Re: Looking for feedback on Sportsman's Finest in Bee Caves, Texas - 10/28/17 03:01 AM

Great advice above.

To add to it, if you have the time and inclination, look online at Country Fly Fisher in Fredericksburg.

Martin is a great guy and great teacher and will get you off to a good start. It is a nice drive.

Martin may be semi retired, so give him a phone call before venturing out. It would be about the same drive time to Round Rock.

Martin can hook you up with winter trout fishing in the area.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum