Texas Fishing Forum

Good S. Texas inshore redfish flies?

Posted By: shoreburd

Good S. Texas inshore redfish flies? - 08/20/17 06:25 PM

Hey yall whats your personal favorite redfish flies? I have 7wt sage with 7wt Rio Redfish line and can't wait to move from practice casting to actually catchin reds.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Good S. Texas inshore redfish flies? - 08/20/17 07:37 PM

More often than not I throw something that emulates a shrimp. But if you find feeding reds, they'll generally eat whatever they're served.
Posted By: karstopo

Re: Good S. Texas inshore redfish flies? - 08/20/17 11:29 PM

Redfish will take a lot of different patterns. That's been my experience. But they are moody and sometimes they have lock jaw.

I like to have a fly that gets down on the bottom and creates little puffs of mud. A lot of patterns fit this. Weighted clousers, redfish crack, various crabs, some shrimp flies, redfish Ritalin. But if you fish around submerged grass an unweighted or lightly weighted fly is better. Seaducers, bead chain weighted flies.

I like noise making patterns in murky water. The Avalon Permit fly is an example that works on redfish in muddy water.

Main thing is to get The fly in their feeding zone. Easiest way it to put it ahead of their path and twitch when they get close. That's how I got my first slot red. Most flies I use for reds are size 2 through 8. Lighter and more streamline flies cast easier than heavy bulky flies.
Posted By: Bruce Mc

Re: Good S. Texas inshore redfish flies? - 08/21/17 01:58 PM

Reds are sometimes locked into one particular prey if thats small crab you'll likely have trouble getting them to look up for another bait. If they're chasing small baitfish or shrimp they'll hit a variety of patterns. A cajun crustaceon type fly will imitate a variety of prey and at different depths.
Posted By: Capt. Andrew

Re: Good S. Texas inshore redfish flies? - 08/27/17 05:03 PM

Super small spoon fly always kills them
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum