Texas Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing the Nueces Watershed

Posted By: J-Moe

Fly Fishing the Nueces Watershed - 06/08/17 02:48 AM

I took a couple days to go fishing in a couple of the Nueces River feeder creeks. The first day I fished by myself and with 1960Texan and Bankeralways on the second day.

I spent the first day covering about a mile of water. I spent the majority of my time fishing 3 deep holes. I caught redear, bluegill, longear, redbreast, green sunfish and small bass. The best quality fish were a couple of 1/2 lb. redbreast. The water was crystal clear and the views of the fish and vegetation were incredible.

The most intriguing part of the trip were the tilapia. They were spawning and moving about every where. The blue color of these fish in that crystal clear water was a first for me and really added to the overall experience. The only problem is I couldn't get them to take a fly. So now I'm on a new mission. Any suggestions on tilapia flies?

Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: Fly Fishing the Nueces Watershed - 06/08/17 01:06 PM

Nice pictures.

I've raised Tilapia in ponds for many years and based on studying them here's my take:

Tilapia present some challenges. For one thing, they generally will not chase a fly. They will eat them but only if they don't have to chase the fly down. Secondly, they can not/ will not outcompete bluegills/sunfish for a fly...or any lure for that matter. They like to "sip" feed. So, any strategy for consistently catching them has to account for this behavior.

Every fall I stock my freezer with Tilapia...by then they are too large for most bass and are going to die anyway not to mention how good to eat they are. I look for a day after a cold front and draw the Tilapia into shallow water away from bluegills with range cubes. Then proceed to catch as many as I want to clean.

I like to use nymphs and have to put the fly right on their nose. They fight excellent.

This is the only circumstance I've been able to consistently catch them; otherwise its one here and one there but always only when the fly is presented right to them and no other predator fish are there to get it.

Pile of Tilapia:

Re: Fly Fishing the Nueces Watershed - 06/08/17 03:16 PM

Thanks Meadowlark, Great information, as always thumb
Posted By: 1960texan

Re: Fly Fishing the Nueces Watershed - 06/08/17 06:52 PM

Nice photos Jamie, and great info Meadowlark. Since Chuck (Banker-always-fishing) was nailing them on nightcrawlers, I wonder if they would hit a San Juan worm?
Posted By: Hawkpuppy 1

Re: Fly Fishing the Nueces Watershed - 06/08/17 07:20 PM

Heading out there Saturday morning near Camp Wood. I'm really looking forward to getting on some new Hill Country water with the fly rod...
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Fly Fishing the Nueces Watershed - 06/08/17 09:29 PM

Nice post J-Moe. Me and two friends of mine spent three days this past April Kayaking the Nueces Canyon. We all had a blast and saw some of the clearest water I have ever seen. There are some nice deep areas and the fish were active. We kayaked both the Nueces and Frio Rivers.
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Fly Fishing the Nueces Watershed - 06/08/17 10:41 PM

Hey bud that first picture is stellar. That is some beautiful water!
Posted By: Capt. Mac

Re: Fly Fishing the Nueces Watershed - 06/08/17 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: robert hunter
Hey bud that first picture is stellar. That is some beautiful water!

X2

Re: Fly Fishing the Nueces Watershed - 06/08/17 11:48 PM

Thanks for all the comments guys. Will, I did try a San Juan worm. I caught them on live worms in Fayette County Lake before so i had the same idea. It didn't work either.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Fly Fishing the Nueces Watershed - 06/08/17 11:55 PM

coolphotos Love that Canyon fishing. rockon
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Fly Fishing the Nueces Watershed - 06/10/17 01:27 AM

Great pics Jamie
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Fly Fishing the Nueces Watershed - 06/10/17 12:54 PM

Awesome post.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum