Texas Fishing Forum

thoughts on furled leaders?

Posted By: Gamblingman

thoughts on furled leaders? - 06/03/17 02:54 PM

I am thinking about buying a couple furled leaders, one for dry fly and one for wet.
Anyone tried them and then find out you don't like them?
Posted By: Turf Dawg

Re: thoughts on furled leaders? - 06/03/17 03:07 PM

Just depends on who you ask. I have thread ones from Cutthroat Leaders and some very nice ones out of mono. Personally I pretty much just use tapered 7.5' 3X mono leaders then add me a tippet ring. Some people love them though. I like them ok for fishing dries butt I very seldom fish dries.
Posted By: txbassnewbie

Re: thoughts on furled leaders? - 06/03/17 07:10 PM

http://moonlitflyfishing.com/hogzilla-furled-leader/

This is the one I use when I throw big topwater flies
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: thoughts on furled leaders? - 06/03/17 07:36 PM

I used to make my own out of Duo Braid and everyone loved them, including me! For trout/panfish I'd use straight Duo Braid, for bass leaders I'd twist in a strand of 4# Trilene. I built the "leader board" from plans I found on the interwebs. My favorites were solid green and a green/tan "camo" pattern of Duo Braid. One strand tan, two green. For Christmas I used to spin up some red/white "candy cane" leaders as gifts. Two white, one red strand. They looked cool and still worked. Done right, they can turn over a fly very nicely. The hardest part was the tippet end. The only commercial ones I've tried were "White River," I believe. They were OK, but I could tell they had "hinges" in them that I couldn't detect with mine.
Posted By: Gamblingman

Re: thoughts on furled leaders? - 06/03/17 11:59 PM

Well it looks like I will be giving it a try.
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: thoughts on furled leaders? - 06/04/17 02:46 AM

You can hand twist them yourself, just call them up on YouTube.
Posted By: flyfshrgrl

Re: thoughts on furled leaders? - 06/07/17 03:29 AM

Furled leaders make for an interesting conversation. How the fish is fought and what fish are being targeted are important points. Norm Goheen, our rod building instructor, used to say that furled leaders kept rod builders in business because they were the main reasons tip sections broke.

Fighting strong fish and big fish benefit from furled leaders provided anglers depend upon their reel and its drag system, not the rod, to fight the fish. In other words, after setting the hook, pointing the fly rod straight at the fish and letting the reel do what it was designed to do would benefit greatly from a furled leader. However, the stiffness of a furled leader puts too much pressure on the tip section when bending the rod resulting in a break in the tip section.
Posted By: gray

Re: thoughts on furled leaders? - 06/11/17 02:44 PM

Flyfshgrl,
Very interesting post. I had not thought about it before. But, it makes complete sense. The same can be said about using braid with conventional rods and reels. That said, I have buddy on here that made and sold furled leaders. His name is robin rhyme. Not sure if he is still doing it. But, I like using them. They seem more durable and easy to use, since they have looped ends. That said, great post / point.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum