Texas Fishing Forum

ORVIS OR TFO

Posted By: jasoniam

ORVIS OR TFO - 06/02/17 11:14 PM

So I am looking at some of the combo starter packages and am torn between TFO NXT combo or the Orvis Encounter combo...any opinions on these and or experience?
Thanks!!

And if you have a 9ft 6wt combo ready to fish I'm interested as well!!
Posted By: j_hirn2

Re: ORVIS OR TFO - 06/03/17 03:49 AM

I don't have a TFO so I can't comment on it, but I have an 8 wt Encounter and I don't like it at all.

It's really heavy, has bad fly line, and casts poorly (at least for me).

I've seen good comments on here about the NXT.
Posted By: McKinneyLonghorn

Re: ORVIS OR TFO - 06/03/17 05:58 AM

Can't comment on either of those two specific outfits, but I have an Orvis Clearwater outfit that I really like. It is not too much more expensive than then Encounter.
Posted By: karstopo

Re: ORVIS OR TFO - 06/03/17 07:10 AM

My neighbor got the Encounter Combo in a 8 weight. and it quickly deteriorated after just a few outings. The eyes rusted off the rod and the ferrules had major cracking. He rinsed the rod in fresh water after every outing. The Encounter carries a different guarantee than the other Orvis rods.

I don't know about the NXT, but I've had a few TFO rods and they have held up well after lots of use.
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: ORVIS OR TFO - 06/03/17 07:56 AM

Go TFO period!!

Re: ORVIS OR TFO - 06/03/17 11:06 AM

Thanks guys....wow the orvis reviews are quite surprising!! Well I ordered the TFO from sierra trading as it was half off what Bass Pro charges!!! Lol! I am super excited to say the least!!
Posted By: formula462

Re: ORVIS OR TFO - 06/03/17 05:13 PM

I am going to try redington for my next rod..do like the TFOs though
Posted By: Naggler

Re: ORVIS OR TFO - 06/04/17 12:59 AM

I am about to do the same thing jasoniam...let me know what you think!
Posted By: Hunter498

Re: ORVIS OR TFO - 06/05/17 12:51 PM

X2 on the clearwater!!
Posted By: Texjbq

Re: ORVIS OR TFO - 06/05/17 03:30 PM

I have the TFO NXT I ordered off Sierra Trading post and I love it. It is the best bang for my buck rod/reel I own.
Posted By: COFF

Re: ORVIS OR TFO - 06/05/17 03:30 PM

FWIW on the combo packages... I've never seen any of them come with a fly line that was worth a flip. For that matter, I've never been a fan of the Orvis lines either.

Re: ORVIS OR TFO - 06/07/17 03:10 PM

Well funny thing....I thought I was gonna help the small guy out and looked at flyshack.com and found the TFO combo on there for $124.99 so I ordered it and all they send is a rod...they say they don't do the combos and I'd have to pay an extra $80 for the reel and line and all....So that is goin back for a refund!! Well so I am searching now looking at actually doing the combo through Sierra Trading Post and wow look on craigslist seeing if anyone is selling their old combo looking to upgrade or whatnot....a pawn shop in Irving has a Lamson Lightspeed 2 with a St. Croix Legend Ultra 9ft 4pc in a 5wt with case and line $200...went last night to hold that till I get the refund in...cant wait to see how this combo works out!!
Posted By: FlySouth

Re: ORVIS OR TFO - 06/07/17 04:06 PM

Quote:
I've never seen any of them come with a fly line that was worth a flip. For that matter, I've never been a fan of the Orvis lines either.

I agree that combos for beginners almost always have the cheapest fly line and often times a trashy reel as well.
I started with a beginner combo from Fishing Tackle Unlimited. Great rod. Terrible line.

FYI - since 2013 Orvis has owned Scientific Anglers and the current Orvis lines are made by Scientific Anglers.
I just bought my first Orvis line and it is excellent
Quote:
a Lamson Lightspeed 2 with a St. Croix Legend Ultra 9ft 4pc in a 5wt with case and line $200

You just found an incredible deal.
Both reel and rod are made in USA should serve you well for a lifetime.
Posted By: karstopo

Re: ORVIS OR TFO - 06/08/17 10:35 PM

I got my first rod, reel and line as a combo off Sierra Trading Post. A really nice Targus Gary Borger Pro 7wt. Reel was a junk pressed metal Ross and terrible mystery line. Still, rod was worth it. It took a while to realize the line was a real impediment to making a decent cast.

Somehow, I survived all those early odd ball purchases. I think it takes time to find a set up that makes the most sense.
Posted By: Mitt78

Re: ORVIS OR TFO - 06/09/17 02:02 AM

Originally Posted By: jasoniam
a pawn shop in Irving has a Lamson Lightspeed 2 with a St. Croix Legend Ultra 9ft 4pc in a 5wt with case and line $200...went last night to hold that till I get the refund in...cant wait to see how this combo works out!!

That pawn shop is literally down the road from me. I went and looked at that combo about a month ago. If I didn't already have a 6wt I would have gotten it. You're getting a great combo from what I saw.

Re: ORVIS OR TFO - 06/12/17 01:29 PM

That's awesome to hear....yeah I should be getting it this weekend fingers crossed!!!
Posted By: j_hirn2

Re: ORVIS OR TFO - 06/12/17 03:12 PM

Just a warning. Fly fishing can be addicting. Where you pull in a 2 pound bass with a baitcaster and the fish comes in like its on a jet ski, with a 6 wt fly rod you have to actually fight the fish. I'm not sure what a 5 lber feels like, but I hope to find out soon. Haven't been up in North Tarrant for several years, but there are probably a lot of public access ponds in the general area that hold bass and sunfish.

I'm sure your going to like the outfit you're getting better than the Encounter. Orvis has some nice rods/reels, but even the Orvis salesmen will warn you against the Encounter.

Good luck!

Re: ORVIS OR TFO - 06/12/17 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: j_hirn2
Just a warning. Fly fishing can be addicting. Where you pull in a 2 pound bass with a baitcaster and the fish comes in like its on a jet ski, with a 6 wt fly rod you have to actually fight the fish. I'm not sure what a 5 lber feels like, but I hope to find out soon. Haven't been up in North Tarrant for several years, but there are probably a lot of public access ponds in the general area that hold bass and sunfish.

I'm sure your going to like the outfit you're getting better than the Encounter. Orvis has some nice rods/reels, but even the Orvis salesmen will warn you against the Encounter.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input....yeah between north Tarrant and south denton areas I think I'm finding a few spots to tinker with!!
Posted By: ben_beyer

Re: ORVIS OR TFO - 06/21/17 02:18 PM

Look in to a Redington Vice.
Posted By: KurtActual

Re: ORVIS OR TFO - 06/23/17 11:26 AM

I own the TFO NXT in a 4/5wt. Also bought from Sierra Trading Post.

I absolutely love it. Casts easily for a beginner, as the rod seems to be a slower speed. Upweighted line helps as well.
I literally have zero complaints about the set up.
Posted By: Naggler

Re: ORVIS OR TFO - 06/27/17 05:24 PM

By upweighted line do you mean using a 6wt line on a 4/5 wt combo? Or a weight forward line? Sorry for the ignorance...just diving into fly fishing!
Posted By: COFF

Re: ORVIS OR TFO - 06/27/17 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Naggler
By upweighted line do you mean using a 6wt line on a 4/5 wt combo? Or a weight forward line? Sorry for the ignorance...just diving into fly fishing!

Correct, Using heavier line than the rod is rated for. You can definitely feel the rod loading easier, which is helpful to the beginning caster. But IMO it makes for a heavy, sloppy cast and saps performance from the rod.
Posted By: badfish

Re: ORVIS OR TFO - 06/28/17 02:26 PM

Can't beat the warranty on the TFO rods
Posted By: Pine Mills Tracker

Re: ORVIS OR TFO - 07/05/17 07:40 PM

I have a 4 TFO rods and you won't be disappointed. Their customer service and warranties are great.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum