Texas Fishing Forum

F3T - The Russians Infiltrate Fly Fishing?

Posted By: texasflycaster

F3T - The Russians Infiltrate Fly Fishing? - 05/10/17 02:24 PM

Finally got around to seeing this year's Fly Fishing Film Tour on their Fort Worth, Texas, stop. Has anyone else seen this? I have opinions of course! But, do you have one? (I didn't even find a Fort Worth thread on the F3T here, so we can probably agree that stop was not well publicized?)
Posted By: Glitchmo

Re: F3T - The Russians Infiltrate Fly Fishing? - 05/10/17 06:48 PM

I attended the Dallas one a few weeks ago for the first time. It was very well attended, and I had a lot of fun. Some really great footage, especially in the tarpon video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZoMPciCciY

I'll definitely go again next year.
Posted By: MassAction

Re: F3T - The Russians Infiltrate Fly Fishing? - 05/10/17 09:02 PM

I saw it in Austin and it was a blast. I'm usually the only person fly fishing around here and I get a lot of sideways glances from others, so it was good to see that I'm not alone. The theater (Paramount in Downtown Austin) was packed all the way into the balcony.

What really struck me was how brilliant the cinematography was in all the movies. I think it was the film Yakutia which featured an overhead shot of a Taimen chasing a fly. It was pretty neat hearing everyone in the theater erupt in cheers when the Taimen swung back around and smashed the fly. That was one of the best pieces of natural cinematography I've ever seen.

I'll also agree with Glitchmo about 120 days. I'm glad I got to see it on the big screen, it gave me chills.

Re: F3T - The Russians Infiltrate Fly Fishing? - 05/11/17 01:56 PM

Can I hijack my own thread?
As good as the videos were, I think I intentionally stumbled on the next "big thing" with this 360 video. I have a Nikon 360 on loan from Competitive Cameras Dallas - to write a review for their site. Call me a "Competitive Ambassador" since "Ambassador" is the hot new term! (It doesn't hurt that I've been buying from them for 30-years either.)
Regardless, I want to drop this uncut 360 video here and see if it is easy for viewers to navigate. I am figuring this stuff out as I go along which in this case does not seem to be the smartest approach. So you can use cursor/hand to rotate through, but I discovered the coolest part is watching it on your phone - rotate sideways to fill your screen, then rotate in any direction. Now for the content ...

Posted By: Floon Swenson

Re: F3T - The Russians Infiltrate Fly Fishing? - 05/11/17 02:52 PM

Pretty darn cool man. I like it.

Re: F3T - The Russians Infiltrate Fly Fishing? - 05/11/17 02:56 PM

I had to Google that camera. It's hard to believe that a $500 camera is doing that. Not bad at all.

Do you just pop it up there and go, like as simple as any other camera?

Re: F3T - The Russians Infiltrate Fly Fishing? - 05/11/17 03:32 PM

Yes, it functions a lot like a GoPro in my opinion. You can blue-tooth it to your phone, but that drags everything down. I am trying to edit it now, and the only way it KEEPS the 360 functionality is by editing on the Nikon "Utility" (so far that is the software but I am looking around for a more pro version of that Nikon software). Then THAT software uploads it to YouTube - pretty raw. I am convinced the Russians designed the "Utility," as it is pretty weak and very early design stage.
So yes, I am going to just pop it up there, hit record and go.
I really think they built it for drones.

Re: F3T - The Russians Infiltrate Fly Fishing? - 05/11/17 04:09 PM

That's really neat. I could see that being a stellar choice for a drone.
Posted By: MassAction

Re: F3T - The Russians Infiltrate Fly Fishing? - 05/12/17 02:59 AM

Originally Posted By: texasflycaster
I am trying to edit it now, and the only way it KEEPS the 360 functionality is by editing on the Nikon "Utility" (so far that is the software but I am looking around for a more pro version of that Nikon software). Then THAT software uploads it to YouTube - pretty raw. I am convinced the Russians designed the "Utility," as it is pretty weak and very early design stage.
So yes, I am going to just pop it up there, hit record and go.

You just hit on the reason why this action camera has flopped in the market despite coming out of PMA with some serious marketing momentum. For some reason Nikon continues to tie its users to crappy software none of them want to use. They never seem to learn, their software offerings are flat out terrible. That's really the genius of the GoPro, no matter what you want to do whether it's video or photo, it plugs right into whatever program you normally use. Yet Nikon continues to insist on hamstringing its users with its bloatware...

Re: F3T - The Russians Infiltrate Fly Fishing? - 05/16/17 12:01 AM

I am thinking YouTube will find a way to deal with the 360 Nikon. I don't mind being on the bleeding edge, but this software has me about bled out. Nikon is actually a pretty small company compared to its main competitor, Canon, so I do wish they would step away from projects like this - that are way too big for the company. They need to go open source with this software (it's free anyway), and see if anyone can save the camera from the museum.
Posted By: kickingback

Re: F3T - The Russians Infiltrate Fly Fishing? - 05/16/17 11:28 AM

How much is a 360 camera? Look cool!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum