Texas Fishing Forum

Carp time !

Posted By: Fishwfly

Carp time ! - 03/25/17 10:12 PM

Broke in my new Orvis Superfine Glass 6wt the right way... Carp! Thank you to Orvis in Southlake ,Texas for the great customer service. Had a blast today catching many carp on a San Juan worm with 7lbs fluorocarbon tippet. Fish caught were active feeders and a few cruisers under the dam. Slow clap carp yeah!! Fiberglass plus carp is just FUN!!

Re: Carp time ! - 03/25/17 10:12 PM

Re: Carp time ! - 03/25/17 10:14 PM

Re: Carp time ! - 03/25/17 10:17 PM

Re: Carp time ! - 03/25/17 10:27 PM

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Carp time ! - 03/25/17 10:28 PM

Nice fish. Bet the fight was awesome. boxing
Posted By: 1960texan

Re: Carp time ! - 03/26/17 02:24 AM

Love to see that bend in the rod!

Re: Carp time ! - 03/26/17 02:47 AM

Texan, thanks for reposting the picture upright! Lol. I hate when the upload flips on me. I agree, the bend in the rod is worth it every time. Loving the new fiberglass rod from Orvis!!
Posted By: pearow

Re: Carp time ! - 03/26/17 12:52 PM

excellent!!
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Carp time ! - 03/26/17 06:35 PM

That's awesome

Re: Carp time ! - 03/26/17 10:28 PM

Well, figured while the getting was good I should hit it again. Went back today and caught about 8 more in a few hours. San Juan worm did the trick again. Caught a nice catfish to boot. Really enjoying the new 6wt glass rod!!!

Re: Carp time ! - 03/26/17 10:37 PM

Re: Carp time ! - 03/26/17 10:39 PM

Re: Carp time ! - 03/26/17 10:40 PM

Re: Carp time ! - 03/26/17 10:43 PM

Re: Carp time ! - 03/26/17 10:45 PM

Sorry for it being a bit pic heavy. Just figure someone loves seeing a rod load under carp as much as I do! Lol
Posted By: ZachW

Re: Carp time ! - 03/27/17 01:29 AM

Wow man you crushed it! Good job. And that rod is sweet.

So how were you fishing for them? It doesn't look like you would have been sight fishing.

Re: Carp time ! - 03/27/17 01:44 AM

Water was clear enough to track fish, but not really see the take. I would place fly near feeding fish, let it drop, and slowly strip it back. Hook sets came on line twitch or feeling the tension from the fish. Great fun!!
Posted By: MassAction

Re: Carp time ! - 03/27/17 02:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Fishwfly
Sorry for it being a bit pic heavy. Just figure someone loves seeing a rod load under carp as much as I do! Lol

No apologies needed, I love picture heavy posts!

That's some great work, the times I have caught carp have felt like dumb luck, sight casting and getting lucky. I've struck out and spooked way more times than I've been successful.

Re: Carp time ! - 03/27/17 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: MassAction
Originally Posted By: Fishwfly

No apologies needed, I love picture heavy posts!

That's some great work, the times I have caught carp have felt like dumb luck, sight casting and getting lucky. I've struck out and spooked way more times than I've been successful.

I understand. Very challenging fish. Part of my addiction! You really have to read the fish. Spawners really won't bite, cruisers tough but may bite, feeding fish game on. Days like the two I have had are a great time! When the time is right take advantage. There must have been hundreds of carp that ran up to the dam. Water rose just enough from recent rain to push fish up from creek. It appeared some were still trying to spawn, but most were active cruising and feeding. A few times I caught one fish, unhooked, next cast another fish! Smile was ear to ear!!!
Posted By: BACKSEATWILLIE

Re: Carp time ! - 03/27/17 08:56 PM

Shoot, post some more. I would post some if i could figure out how here. I love fishing in general, but there is just something about flyin for carp that i just can't get enough of. Thanks for the post.
Posted By: Capt. Mac

Re: Carp time ! - 03/27/17 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: BACKSEATWILLIE
Shoot, post some more. ..
I love fishing in general, but there is just something about flyin for carp that i just can't get enough of. Thanks for the post.

Same here, I absolutely love fishing for carp! I plan on hitting them hard once the sand bass run is over.

Re: Carp time ! - 03/28/17 12:46 AM

Why stop at just two days worth of epic carp fishing??? I took my son after work today and they were still on fire!! Within a few cast had our first carp. Ended up catching 8 in an hour and a half. Had a good one take me to the backing and the got off the hook.

Re: Carp time ! - 03/28/17 12:49 AM

Re: Carp time ! - 03/28/17 12:54 AM

Re: Carp time ! - 04/01/17 12:20 AM

Re: Carp time ! - 04/01/17 12:25 AM

Great time today after work. Caught 10 in a few hours time. Mostly sight fishing to feeders. The size 8 red Jan's carp tickler was the ticket today. I used 12 lbs invisix fluorocarbon as tippet. I have landed at least 30 plus carp in the last 4 trips to this particular spot!

Re: Carp time ! - 04/02/17 02:19 AM

I wanted to add a bit about the new rod now that it is a carp whisperer. I bought this rod for carp. Don't get me wrong, warm water bass/panfish, light inshore were all on the mind as well. However ,I wanted to try the "new" Glass for carp specifically. Most the carp fishing I have done in the past involves close quarter sight cast to the fish. I have spooked my fare share of carp slapping some flies on fast 8wt graphite. Wanted to slow it down and give the Glass a try. Very pleased so far! Rod does not feel like a noodle when casting, and is a pleasant "fast/slow" lol. I have been using an Orvis Bass taper line in 6wt. Line loads the rod just fine ,and I have even chunked some beefy bass streamer cone heads without incident. Once I got use to the rods action it has been like a magic wand of accuracy for me. Such an enjoyable rod. Very capable as well. Great "all around" warm water, larger fish rod for me. I have landed carp to 12-15 lbs, bass to 3 lbs, crappie and bluegill. Still fun on smaller fish, nice full flex backbone on the big ones. For normal fishing this rod will put a huge smile on your face. Slow clap, Carp yeah! Glad to see the new Glass rods.

Re: Carp time ! - 04/08/17 11:46 PM

Cool pic from today's carp trip. Caught 5 total. All about the same size 5-6 lbs. water was lower and fish were more spooky today. Anything "slap" the water to close and fish were running.
Posted By: DancesWithSquirrels

Re: Carp time ! - 04/09/17 02:21 AM

Sick man! Carp are always so cool to fish for. I saw the size tippet, but what size leader and fly line were you using?

Re: Carp time ! - 04/09/17 01:31 PM

Fly line is the new SA MPX mastery 6wt. Leader started as just a basic nylon 8lbs bass leader. Cut to the slightly thicker section and tied on the 12lbs test invisix line.

Re: Carp time ! - 04/10/17 02:17 AM

Fished a different spillway area today. Carp were stacked thick near the water flow areas. 5-20 lbs fish seen. I landed many in the 5-10 lbs range. Also landed a nice channel cat, and lots of spotted and largemouth bass. Carp landed were active even chasing flies at times. Tons of fun! Really been giving the glass rod a workout. I really like laying into the glass rod without a fear of breaking it.

Re: Carp time ! - 04/10/17 02:17 AM

Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Carp time ! - 04/10/17 05:31 AM

Fantastic stuff right there!!!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum