Texas Fishing Forum

Too early for Carp?

Posted By: semicole

Too early for Carp? - 03/10/17 08:49 PM

Wondering if anyone is chasing Carp yet or if we'll have to wait until it warms up a bit. Anyone?
Posted By: centex7

Re: Too early for Carp? - 03/10/17 09:04 PM

It's never too early. Just have to change tactics. Worms have been the go to at my local park. Bagged my first 2017 carp mid February. I've got a buddy that has landed 2+ a weekend for the past month.
Posted By: BACKSEATWILLIE

Re: Too early for Carp? - 03/11/17 12:43 AM

Do not know where you are at, but most likely the answer to your question is, its not too early. They are already hitting the shallows to feed here in Lubbock and i assume you are farther south, so your good to go.
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Too early for Carp? - 03/11/17 06:37 AM

Go fish for sandbass lol they are already flooding in we are hitting several big commons and buffs a trip. The love clousers in chartuse and white size six. They better only one I have haha!
Posted By: ElectricSixes

Re: Too early for Carp? - 03/11/17 10:10 PM

I'm going to try this tomorrow. How deep are they, Robert? Have you hit Pecan Creek?
Posted By: texasflycaster

Re: Too early for Carp? - 03/12/17 08:41 PM

Caught two weeks ago. Fought like a tree stump - still lethargic.

Re: Too early for Carp? - 03/13/17 02:31 AM

Nope with us having really good runs south I've stayed out of all the traffic up there. We have been hitting some striper to make up for no hybrids. I've got several buddy's up there may take a run up there at some point. Carp have been really thick down here too

Re: Too early for Carp? - 03/13/17 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: robert hunter
... Carp have been really thick down here too
Of course I wonder how far "down here" is from "up here?" So how far down is "down here?"
Posted By: theflyguy3

Re: Too early for Carp? - 03/14/17 12:59 AM

In early January I had a monster carp on in a neighborhood pond. And just a few weeks ago I caught some Buffalo at LLELA. They definitely aren't as plentiful, but when the right conditions line up, you can find 'em eating.
Posted By: Capt. Mac

Re: Too early for Carp? - 03/14/17 01:33 AM

As soon as the sand bass run is over, it's on - hard...

Re: Too early for Carp? - 03/14/17 06:26 AM

Originally Posted By: texasflycaster
Of course I wonder how far "down here" is from "up here?" So how far down is "down here?"
lmbo Shannon I have no idea how we havnt crossed paths yet. Look forward to fishing with you at some point. We have a lot of mutual friends! Very good reading from a person with actual carp desire. Whitney drainage is how far down here(upper). The warden was after an airboat over loaded with zero life jackets and rumor of a lmb on the boat with a bolt hole in it. Thank god they couldn't see fish they are schooled up everywhere. They drove over hundreds with multiple bows drawn must have bad polarized glasses. Lucky they didn't hit a rock and shoot each other. We have caught several commons and big buffs since January. Don't have carp on my photobucket but we have caught several most two weeks ago. Slowed down this last week because they are bunched up and we have dodged them. Shannon pm sent!

Re: Too early for Carp? - 03/14/17 12:48 PM

Well it is quite refreshing to see you SHOW-and-TELL where you are doing all the good! On my way!
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Too early for Carp? - 03/14/17 01:41 PM

Well it is quite refreshing to see you SHOW-and-TELL where you are doing all the good! On my way!

Nice fish. A carp and buff is on my bucket list this year for sure!

Re: Too early for Carp? - 03/15/17 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Laker One

Nice fish. A carp and buff is on my bucket list this year for sure!
buffalo are all about hooking the right one. Some are about like pulling in a wet beach towel. I've caught others that fought as good as any carp.

Re: Too early for Carp? - 03/20/17 07:56 PM

I think my problem is I don't really know where to go. I'm in West McKinney and I only really know of Ray Roberts. I made a trip out there last summer and spotted a few, but couldn't get them to bite. Aside from Ray Roberts I don't really know where to go.

I'm wanting to hook into my first carp on a fly rod, any help would be appreciated!
Posted By: Glitchmo

Re: Too early for Carp? - 03/20/17 08:40 PM

I saw whole schools of 1-2lb fish that I'm pretty sure were carp feeding off the surface in Rowlett Creek yesterday. The one day I don't have my dry flies. Sigh.
Posted By: Capt. Mac

Re: Too early for Carp? - 03/20/17 11:39 PM

We've been seeing lots of carp in the creeks as well. I'm sure, if the water is clear enough to spot them, there will be carp up on the flats. I've just been to busy catching sand bass to go check.

Re: Too early for Carp? - 03/21/17 01:17 AM

Rowlett Creek where it feeds into Ray Hubbard? I've heard people talk about that spot, but have never really known where exactly to go.

Re: Too early for Carp? - 03/21/17 01:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Capt. Mac
We've been seeing lots of carp in the creeks as well. I'm sure, if the water is clear enough to spot them, there will be carp up on the flats. I've just been to busy catching sand bass to go check.

I've been wanting to get in on that action as well, but again don't really know where to head.
Posted By: Glitchmo

Re: Too early for Carp? - 03/21/17 02:30 AM

Unfortunately, RC isn't very fly friendly water.

That said, read the thread in bank fishing and substitute whatever they're using for a white/chart clousers.

Re: Too early for Carp? - 03/21/17 03:45 AM

I tried to drop a pin but my gps won't work with the platform. Sandbass are tailing off in small creeks if we don't get rain. Just look at a map almost all major feeder rivers have water right now just look for a crossing and start fishing. Should find some fish.
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Too early for Carp? - 03/30/17 02:35 AM

lmbo Shannon I have no idea how we havnt crossed paths yet. Look forward to fishing with you at some point. We have a lot of mutual friends! Very good reading from a person with actual carp desire. Whitney drainage is how far down here(upper). The warden was after an airboat over loaded with zero life jackets and rumor of a lmb on the boat with a bolt hole in it. Thank god they couldn't see fish they are schooled up everywhere. They drove over hundreds with multiple bows drawn must have bad polarized glasses. Lucky they didn't hit a rock and shoot each other. We have caught several commons and big buffs since January. Don't have carp on my photobucket but we have caught several most two weeks ago. Slowed down this last week because they are bunched up and we have dodged them. Shannon pm sent!

Nice buff
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum