Texas Fishing Forum

Fly Swap

Posted By: Lloyd5

Fly Swap - 12/08/16 07:27 PM

For the post moderators (I think) to ponder upon.

I ran across an idea that could be fun for this forum.

You put out a post that anyone interested in joining in a fly swap reply by saying they are in. You assign each of them a number. After you think you have all the response you'll get you then do a drawing and randomly pair numbers up. Those two people then send each other a hand-tied fly, or a purchased fly if they don't hand tie.

Might be tight to get that done by Christmas and it would make a nice Christmas present to get in the mail, but then again it would be fun to do any time of the year.

Just a thought...
Posted By: McKinneyLonghorn

Re: Fly Swap - 12/09/16 01:29 AM

I only started tying a few months ago, but I would definitely be in. In my obviously biased opinion I think my flies look pretty good. Regardless of how they look, I do know they catch fish.
Posted By: Flying Fox

Re: Fly Swap - 12/09/16 03:08 AM

I am in!
Posted By: kickingback

Re: Fly Swap - 12/10/16 10:48 AM

Great idea. It should go in the Fly Tying forum. Best thing to do is start the thread yourself there and have people sign up. Being that you will be the "sponsor" for the first swap you set a deadline or number of people for entry. Once deadline or max people reached. Pair the names and post the details about who all will swap with or you can have everyone send you one or two flies each and then YOU pair them and send them out. Have each send their flies in a small protected padded envelope (9x6) with a self addressed stamped return envelope inside the mailing envelope for returning the flies to each person. This way you have everyone's address and can divvy out the flies and call it a productive swap!
I will join if you post there and set it up. Call it the "First Fly Swap for 2017" or "Saltwater Fly Swap" or "Spring Fly Swap" to match the season, etc. Should be fun!
Posted By: Bruce Mc

Re: Fly Swap - 12/10/16 12:49 PM

I'm in.

Re: Fly Swap - 12/10/16 06:34 PM

Well I opened my mouth so I guess I have to follow through :-)

For those that are interested I am moving this to the fly tying area - follow over there!

Lloyd

Re: Fly Swap - 12/10/16 06:44 PM

Okay, it's set up on the tying site.

I'll check back here for those that responded, but it sure wouldn't hurt to respond on the other forum as well, might keep me from missing someone...

Lloyd

Re: Fly Swap - 12/19/16 05:59 PM

bump

Until Midnight Tonight you can still get in!

Re: Fly Swap - 12/20/16 12:35 PM

Go to fly tying forum to see pairings and have fun!
Posted By: ChisholmTrailOutfitters

Re: Fly Swap - 02/04/17 03:54 AM

Can I get in on this??
Posted By: McKinneyLonghorn

Re: Fly Swap - 02/04/17 04:13 AM

Originally Posted By: ChisholmTrailOutfitters
Can I get in on this??

This one is already complete. But it seemed to go well so hopefully there will be another one in the near future.
Posted By: Mitt78

Re: Fly Swap - 02/04/17 03:31 PM

Well there are several holidays a month so I don't see why we couldn't do this more often. I know I learned to tie a couple of new ones last time and got a few I hadn't seen before. I can sit and tie a dozen or more Llano bugs a night so it helped get me out of that rut for a while.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum