Texas Fishing Forum

Local Park pond ruined by Golden Algal

Posted By: RonL

Local Park pond ruined by Golden Algal - 11/17/16 06:09 AM

We have two parks here where I live that have ponds that the State of Texas has been restocking last few years with Trout and catfish . I been practicing with my flyrods at the ponds but not caught anything . Couple days ago dead fish started showing up so the city had the waters tested and today a confirmation came back , Golden Algal !! OH NO !!! I been waiting on the State to restock this winter so I could Trout fish . But now Beal Park will not be restocked on count of the Golden Algal . Another park a few miles away is being tested now to see if the Algal is also present even tho no dead fish have been showing up . Until test is finished State will not restock that one either . OH keeping my fingers crossed !! If they don't that means i'll have no local pond to flyfish at ... [censored] !!

http://tpwd.texas.gov/landwater/water/environconcerns/hab/ga/

http://www.cbs7.com/content/news/Dead-fish-prompt-investigation-of-Midland-pond--401386426.html
Posted By: Cast

Re: Local Park pond ruined by Golden Algal - 11/17/16 12:11 PM

That's not good at all.
Posted By: ben_beyer

Re: Local Park pond ruined by Golden Algal - 11/17/16 12:13 PM

Sorry to hear about that!

Re: Local Park pond ruined by Golden Algal - 11/17/16 02:52 PM

Yeah it's heartbreaking . I was looking so forward to this pond being restocked . Just hope the other pond down the road doesn't get affect also .
Posted By: Floon Swenson

Re: Local Park pond ruined by Golden Algal - 11/17/16 03:00 PM

That sucks. Bodies of water out your way are few are far between, most literally.

Ever make it over to the Lincoln National Forest? You could probably leave at breakfast time and be there by lunch. For some reason or another they have brookies out there. Grab a 3wt, your hiking boots, a jug of coffee and go check it out man.
Posted By: txbassnewbie

Re: Local Park pond ruined by Golden Algal - 11/17/16 03:20 PM

Man I know where that park is .... my gf parents live on Anneta I would go down to that park when we visit. Never caught anything though
Posted By: Bass Bug

Re: Local Park pond ruined by Golden Algal - 11/17/16 09:10 PM

wonder how one of these places draining into a pond will affect it, there lotsa nasty lil kiddos at that place & all the water drains right into the pond they plan on putting trout (I aint eatin em if they dont die)

Re: Local Park pond ruined by Golden Algal - 11/17/16 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass BugŪ
wonder how one of these places draining into a pond will affect it, there lotsa nasty lil kiddos at that place & all the water drains right into the pond they plan on putting trout (I aint eatin em if they dont die)

There are no rec pools even close to these ponds so no draining into ponds . All rec pools are drained directly to sewer .
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum