Texas Fishing Forum

TFO NXT Rod Combo's on Sale

Posted By: RexW

TFO NXT Rod Combo's on Sale - 11/05/16 03:53 AM

FYI, people often post asking about a good starter rod.

Well, Sierra Trading Post just listed some of the TFO NXT rod and reel combo's for $99. The NXT combo has a 4 pc rod, reel, line, backing, and rod case.
Posted By: 1960texan

Re: TFO NXT Rod Combo's on Sale - 11/05/16 04:22 AM

That's a great deal for a TFO combo.
Posted By: KurtActual

Re: TFO NXT Rod Combo's on Sale - 11/07/16 12:45 PM

Any way to find out the rod speed? I am returning a combo I bought, and will be looking to replace it ASAP.
I think as a beginner, I would prefer a medium or medium-fast rod. Thanks

Edit: Bought one anyways. Haha Couldnt pass up that kind of quality in my price range

Re: TFO NXT Rod Combo's on Sale - 11/07/16 02:10 PM

The rods have a medium-fast action with a progressive taper design. The blanks cast extremely similar to the TFO Pro series rods.

Re: TFO NXT Rod Combo's on Sale - 11/07/16 02:58 PM

Thanks Rex. I am excited to try it out. Should be here on Veteran's Day.
Posted By: Texjbq

Re: TFO NXT Rod Combo's on Sale - 11/07/16 05:35 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Just bought one myself.
Posted By: keebranch

Re: TFO NXT Rod Combo's on Sale - 11/08/16 08:23 PM

good value- the rod itself is a ProII series. Way more in cost than the $99.00 -$129.00 price range for the outfit.

Les

Re: TFO NXT Rod Combo's on Sale - 11/08/16 10:51 PM

Originally Posted By: keebranch
good value- the rod itself is a ProII series.

Wait, it is not the same rod as the TFO Pro II. They are very similar, but they are not identical. They have very different hardware (guides, grip, etc.) The hardware is nicer on the Pro II series rods.
Posted By: keebranch

Re: TFO NXT Rod Combo's on Sale - 11/11/16 04:22 PM

Hi Rex
As I was told ( by same folks you know) blank is ProII painted in a different scheme, different hardware, yet same four piece blank.

Les
Posted By: Texjbq

Re: TFO NXT Rod Combo's on Sale - 11/12/16 02:42 AM

Got mine today, I'd say it's definitely closer to the medium side of medium fast. Very nice looking, Rod feels good.The reel is definitely heavy but for a complete solid outfit at 100 bucks I'm not complaining.

Re: TFO NXT Rod Combo's on Sale - 11/12/16 03:37 AM

I agree Les, same blank, but the hardware is different. I just didn't want people thinking they are identical.

Texjbq, congratulations, enjoy your new rod. The kits are uplined one wt. So, the 5 wt rod comes with a 6 wt line. If you want the rod to feel faster, use a lighter wt line.

Re: TFO NXT Rod Combo's on Sale - 11/12/16 04:32 AM

Same story as Tex. Got mine today too. First cast I caught a 2-3# catfish, broke off when I was trying to land him. I am LOVING the rod action though. Super easy to cast farther than my last combo.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum