Texas Fishing Forum

Key West Tarpon ( video)

Posted By: Capt. Mac

Key West Tarpon ( video) - 11/02/16 04:35 PM

My wife and I stayed in Marathon Florida over the Christmas holidays last year. We spent a day walking around Key West and another day on the water out of Little Torch Key looking for Tarpon with Capt. Scott Yetter. I had just started doing videos when we took this trip so I wasn't sure which direction I wanted this thing to go, mostly because I knew almost nothing about editing. I got busy doing other videos and this one kept getting put off. I just couldn't put it together in my mind. I finally decided to sit down and just do it. This is what I came up with.
I hooked five and boated two. They are not big fish by any means but still a heck of a lot of fun. Had a shark hooked up for a few seconds but didn't have the right leader for one those things. I also caught a small Jack. My wife and I managed to do some damage to some shrimp po boys all up and down the keys so it was a successful trip.
Hope you guys enjoy the video. I made some mistakes shooting but I think I edited them out pretty well. As always, constructive criticism is welcome.

https://vimeo.com/189182635
Posted By: Wayfaring Texan

Re: Key West Tarpon ( video) - 11/02/16 05:40 PM

Awesome video! Looks like a great time was had!
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: Key West Tarpon ( video) - 11/02/16 06:14 PM

Enjoyed the video, Very good. Thanks for posting.
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Key West Tarpon ( video) - 11/02/16 08:28 PM

Great video, thanks for sharing!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Key West Tarpon ( video) - 11/03/16 12:05 AM

Awesome post and video. Thanks for sharing. thumb
Posted By: Jesse10

Re: Key West Tarpon ( video) - 11/03/16 01:10 AM

You made my day! Great footage. I had a hard time letting those babies have slack when they jumped. I like your method better. I know it only shows bits of the fight, but you keeping tension on them looks like it worked. Glad you and your wife had a great time. I'd like to fish with you someday. Take care.
Posted By: OliverBassin

Re: Key West Tarpon ( video) - 11/03/16 03:54 AM

That was an awesome video. Enjoyed it. fish
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Key West Tarpon ( video) - 11/03/16 05:24 AM

Well it's about time you got done with that one! Too bad they did not jump a little higher for you hmmmlol. Great stuff!
Posted By: RonL

Re: Key West Tarpon ( video) - 11/03/16 04:13 PM

Nice video , did you take your own gear or guide supply ?
Posted By: FishyB

Re: Key West Tarpon ( video) - 11/03/16 10:30 PM

Once again my friend you have out done yourself. It's been over 30 years since I have been to Key West, absolutely the sight seeing aspect of the video; the tarpon, BONUS!!! Great stuff! smile

Tight lines.
Posted By: Capt. Mac

Re: Key West Tarpon ( video) - 11/04/16 01:11 AM

Thank you guys! I do appreciate it. Sorry about the late reply but I've had things going on this week.

Jesse10 - it wasn't by design, I just forget to " bow to the king". Probably why I only boated two of five. Yes, we'll have to get a trip together sometime soon.

Robert - I would sit and stare at my computer for about ten minutes, couldn't find a song I liked to start it out, couldn't decide which clip to start it out with, get up and go outside... Those things spend about as much time in the air as they do in the water.

RonL - we flew down there and I didn't want to hassle with airline about gear. I did take my own flies, I like to catch fish on flies I tied but everything else was supplied by the guide. Very nice gear to.

FishyB - I'm sure your sick of hearing me, "I REALLY need to get that Tarpon video finished".

Again, thanks everybody, you guys have helped keep me afloat this week.
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Key West Tarpon ( video) - 11/04/16 01:08 PM

Wow!!! Another incredible video Capt. Mac. You have the touch.

Everyone around here tells me a catch rate of 1 in 10 is good on tarpon so you exceeded expectations by 4 times. Great angling thumb

It took me 2 days to watch in on Vimeo though bang
Posted By: Texjbq

Re: Key West Tarpon ( video) - 11/04/16 04:24 PM

Looks like a great trip, great video, congrats on the fish, thanks for sharing!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum