Texas Fishing Forum

Indicators

Posted By: 2FlyFish4

Indicators - 09/25/16 01:34 PM

So I wanted to share 2 indicators with yall that I have been using. They both have there own place and are now the only 2 indicators I carry.

The first one is the New Zealand Strike Indicator. This indicator is wool, it floats high and is very sensitive. I have been using this indicator during low water, calm water, and while using small/smaller flies to wary fish. The indicator lands softly on the water, will detect subtle takes and can be moved up and down the leader with ease.

The other one is the Airlock Strike Indicator. This indicator is similar to the thingamabobber, but doesn't kink your leader as it uses a nut to hold onto the leader. This indicator is best for more turbulent water and heavy nymph rigs. It lands on the water with a plop, isn't as easy to cast, but is my go to indict or for big water deep nymph rigs.

I'm a minimalist by nature, but by having these 2 indicators in your vest you will be covered for any situation you may find while on the water.
Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: Indicators - 09/25/16 02:11 PM

TFO makes a kit for the wool type indicators that works great. I definitely prefer them over the "bobber" type.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Indicators - 09/25/16 02:52 PM

I used to use a piece of yarn; I never liked the Thingamabobber or similar bulky hard floats.
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Indicators - 09/26/16 02:36 AM

Still mad you didn't get extra of the air lock to bring back lol. I've never cared for the wool ones my self and the only thing a bobber I will uses the glow-in-the-dark one if I'm out of glow sticks for my nighttime nymph fishing. Really like that air lock concept! As I am generally on the move fishing for trout and easily adjustable non-memory forming indicator is a must.
Posted By: WoollyBugger

Re: Indicators - 09/26/16 01:13 PM

Those are both pretty slick.
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: Indicators - 09/26/16 02:29 PM

I use both. More often the air lock, just makes me cry when I loose one. $.

Wool is really nice for small flies, it lands very softly. Their videos sold me on the idea a couple years ago. I even ordered black for those stealth operations!
Posted By: Froghunter

Re: Indicators - 09/27/16 01:56 AM

I really like the yarn strike indicators. I just need to get a good water repellent to put on them. They eventually soak up water and go from "indicator" to "weight".

Do you post on TBH as well?
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Indicators - 09/27/16 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: robert hunter
Still mad you didn't get extra of the air lock to bring back lol. I've never cared for the wool ones my self and the only thing a bobber I will uses the glow-in-the-dark one if I'm out of glow sticks for my nighttime nymph fishing. Really like that air lock concept! As I am generally on the move fishing for trout and easily adjustable non-memory forming indicator is a must.

thumb
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Indicators - 09/27/16 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Froghunter
I really like the yarn strike indicators. I just need to get a good water repellent to put on them. They eventually soak up water and go from "indicator" to "weight".

Do you post on TBH as well?
try the lightning strike football indicators they leave no cramping on the line at all and come in very tiny sizes and if you are actively moving up a river and need to hit several different depths they are super easy to adjust and never get waterlogged. On the smaller sizes I do trim the rubber insert. Going to try these air locks though really like the concept just depends on how small they come for daytime for me. I like my nymphs and split shot to just almost sink the indicator so that the slightest hit can be seen.
Posted By: DaleBU

Re: Indicators - 09/28/16 07:04 PM

For several years now my favorite is Dorsey's approach using polypropylene macramé yarn (yellow and black) and dental bands. Cheap, adjustable and visible in a variety of conditions. Does kink leader some, but easier for me to handle on water than those little washers/threaded rings.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum