Texas Fishing Forum

Hill Country Day Off

Posted By: MassAction

Hill Country Day Off - 09/16/16 09:56 PM

I had the day off today, so what better way to spend it than on a limestone stream bed with the fly rod in hand.

The day started off overcast and the cloud cover quickly burned off but not before some beautiful views of the sun streaming through into the valley.

The bite was really hot in the morning, first ten casts yielded three sunfish and a Guadalupe bass. I found a deep pool at the base of some fast water and knew there would be fish there. This fish was the highlight of my day, my first rio grande cichlid on the fly rod. I've had many Rios pursue my flies and even hooked one for a bit but never landed one until today when I least expected it. A couple of casts later I hooked a big largemouth but he threw my fly just as I went to grab the leader. Disappointing, but I know where he is now and I'll be back for a return date.

This (longear?) sunfish definitely wasn't the biggest catch of the day but was far and away the prettiest.

Caught lots of small Guadalupe bass throughout the day. Although I lost the big one, the winds were calm, snags were few and far between, and the fish were biting so I can't complain.

The bite was on fire early but tapered off significantly around 10:30 when the water started to warm up. I ended up packing up around 1 to head home. Carpet bomber from Living Waters in Round Rock was the preferred fly of the day but I did get some blow ups throwing a boogle bug near the bank in the shade.

I don't post here often, I usually prefer to sit back and read but I figured it was time I added something. However, I would also like to say thanks for the great content and posts you all provide, I've learned a lot lurking around here and really appreciate it!
Posted By: Capt. Mac

Re: Hill Country Day Off - 09/16/16 11:37 PM

Glad you decided to stop lurking and jump in. Really enjoyed your post - it would be a shame to miss out because you stayed in the shadows. Welcome aboard.
Posted By: Hunter498

Re: Hill Country Day Off - 09/17/16 12:00 PM

Great Pics!
Posted By: pearow

Re: Hill Country Day Off - 09/17/16 12:32 PM

`nice post-p-
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: Hill Country Day Off - 09/17/16 01:18 PM

Nice fish, nice photos, Nice report, where have you been? smile
Thanks for the post.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum