Texas Fishing Forum

What's best , Large Arbor or Mid Arbor ? up to med to large

Posted By: RonL

What's best , Large Arbor or Mid Arbor ? up to med to large - 09/06/16 05:40 PM

Not planning on anything real big like Steelhead . Just wondering if anyone uses a MidArbor reel ? I see Orvis has their Access Mid-Arbor on sale . Are they any good ?

http://www.orvis.com/p/access-mid-arbor-fly-reels/3r44
Posted By: rrhyne56

Re: What's best , Large Arbor or Mid Arbor ? up to med to large - 09/06/16 06:07 PM

Personally, I have never encountered any junk at Orvis. And they are real friendly about their returns. Don't hesitate because of quality concerns.
Posted By: Capt. Brendan

Re: What's best , Large Arbor or Mid Arbor ? up to med to large - 09/06/16 06:17 PM

I have an Access III on my 6wt BVK and I really liked it, up until the point where I accidentally dropped it. Now the spool is bent and rubs the frame harder than a bear on a tree. But I really liked the reel and it held up pretty well.

I recently got a Hydros SL IV for my 8wt salt/striper setup and I only have good things to say about it. I'd say it is the best performing reel at its price point, and it out performs some of the $600+ reels out there.

Re: What's best , Large Arbor or Mid Arbor ? up to med to large - 09/06/16 07:56 PM

So they bend easily ? I thought I saw where they were machined aluminum . I thought that was tougher ? Personally I'm just looking for a good reel and Rio Grand line I can get together for under $200.00 .
Posted By: BACKSEATWILLIE

Re: What's best , Large Arbor or Mid Arbor ? up to med to large - 09/06/16 09:27 PM

Have it in an 8wt, and have caught many a large carp on it. Good drag, good reel. IMO one of the best reels out there for the $$$. Didn't know they were on sale gonna have to check it out : )
Posted By: Capt. Brendan

Re: What's best , Large Arbor or Mid Arbor ? up to med to large - 09/06/16 11:44 PM

If I were you I wouldn't worry about the bending. The Access was my 1st reel and it has been through a lot of abuse. As long as you take decent care of it you won't have any problems.
Posted By: Bruce Mc

Re: What's best , Large Arbor or Mid Arbor ? up to med to large - 09/06/16 11:58 PM

I bought a IV and an extra spool in store last month on sale. The sales rep told me about it. It wasn't on line yet. It has worked well on my 7wgt and smallish bass. Wished I could say it has worked great on some big bass, but I haven't caught any. I put a sinking tip on the spare spool.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: What's best , Large Arbor or Mid Arbor ? up to med to large - 09/07/16 12:31 AM

Nothing wrong with the Access. Same drag (sealed) as the Hydros and all machined & anodized; holds up fine in the salt. I used one for years (an Access I) on one of my rods (a 2 wt. TFO) in the salt, and when Orvis introduced the new generation of Hydros reels they put the original Hydros on sale. I got one because they have a higher retrieve speed than the Access, and the price was too good to pass up. But the Access served me well for years, and landed many specs, reds, flounder, jacks, grouper, snapper, and grunts (and a few other species) on that 2 wt. in Texas and Florida. It's a great reel.
Posted By: txbassnewbie

Re: What's best , Large Arbor or Mid Arbor ? up to med to large - 09/07/16 03:45 AM

Mid arbor is fine for most fishing in Texas ponds or rivers unless your fishing for buffalo, carp of gar then i would go with a large arbor reel

Re: What's best , Large Arbor or Mid Arbor ? up to med to large - 09/07/16 01:51 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone . I have a 5wt with a large arbor reel already but was thinking maybe the Access would do fine on my Sage VXP unless there is a reason that I should go with a large arbor instead . The VXP is suppose to be a fast action rod and I was told I should use Rio Grand WF line . With the Access would it matter about it being a fast action rod and using the Rio Grand line ?
Posted By: j_hirn2

Re: What's best , Large Arbor or Mid Arbor ? up to med to large - 09/07/16 02:10 PM

Hi Ron. Access should work fine with your Sage and the Rio Grand line.

Yellowstone angler did a 5 wt reel shootout this year and the Access scored better than the Hydros. Some people swear by the shootouts and some people scoff at them, but it gives you an idea about reel quality.

I looked at the link you posted on the sales price and for the price they are offering them for I don't think you can go wrong.

Re: What's best , Large Arbor or Mid Arbor ? up to med to large - 09/07/16 03:03 PM

Ok I decided to order the Orvis Mid-Arbor 5wt reel/Titanium on sale for $99.00 . I went ahead and had them put on the backing I needed and decided to use the Orvis flyline the salesman told me about which was 5wt WF line . If I don't like it they will work with me on changing it . If I don't like it then i'll buy some Rio Grand .

http://www.orvis.com/p/hdros-wf-trout/2ar6

Re: What's best , Large Arbor or Mid Arbor ? up to med to large - 09/07/16 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By: j_hirn2
Hi Ron. Access should work fine with your Sage and the Rio Grand line.

Yellowstone angler did a 5 wt reel shootout this year and the Access scored better than the Hydros. Some people swear by the shootouts and some people scoff at them, but it gives you an idea about reel quality.

I looked at the link you posted on the sales price and for the price they are offering them for I don't think you can go wrong.

Thanks for that info hirn2 , as I mentioned I'm going to try the Orvis line first and if I don't like it they'll deal with me at changing it . Just be glad when I get out to some water later this month or next month !
Posted By: texoma1231

Re: What's best , Large Arbor or Mid Arbor ? up to med to large - 09/07/16 05:53 PM

I have a mid arbor IV and have never had any issues. Great reel. If you check the ebay site you can often find very good deals on Orvis reels. Sometimes they are new in the box. Worth a look.

tight lines

Re: What's best , Large Arbor or Mid Arbor ? up to med to large - 09/08/16 03:40 AM

Got an email tonight saying my new reel has been shipped !

Re: What's best , Large Arbor or Mid Arbor ? up to med to large - 09/09/16 01:57 PM

Thanks everyone for all the great info and suggestions ! Orvis delivered to me Next-Day delivery because of buying and trying out there WF Trout line , didn't charge me for backing and on the Next-Day delivery only charged me for standard shipping . All together saved me about $36.00 . That Access III is really nice looking and feels great on my Sage VXP . Here's a picture of both my Cabelas' RLS+ Combo and my Sage VXP . Can't wait to get out and try them ! Just need to get some Tippet material and I'm all set !

Re: What's best , Large Arbor or Mid Arbor ? up to med to large - 09/10/16 09:45 PM

Oh man missed a great sale frown , Orvis had their Hydros Large Arbor reel on sale for $119.00 but totally missed it frown !! Matter of fact the reel is no longer available and only small spools are maybe if not sold out . And I just bought the Mid-Arbor size frown . Makes me sick !

Re: What's best , Large Arbor or Mid Arbor ? up to med to large - 09/16/16 11:51 PM

Hi Ron

Sorry this is so late on the topic but I was on call over the weekend and pretty busy all week. you mentioned that you got Orvis line instead of Rio and I was just wondering what type it was.

Hope you can get out and get some tugs on those rods.

Re: What's best , Large Arbor or Mid Arbor ? up to med to large - 09/17/16 03:51 AM

Hi Ron

Sorry this is so late on the topic but I was on call over the weekend and pretty busy all week. you mentioned that you got Orvis line instead of Rio and I was just wondering what type it was.

Hope you can get out and get some tugs on those rods.

Hi j_hirn2 , no problem being late . Glad you tuned in . The line I got was the Orvis Hydros WF Trout 5-WT : http://www.orvis.com/p/hdros-wf-trout/2ar6 . Have not got on water yet but planning to very soon . Salesman said it was a great line for what I wanted to use it for and that this was what they put on their Helios 2 rods unless someone requested a different one . Said it would work great with the Sage VXP I have which is rated as a Fast-Action but a lot of fishermen say it's more like Med-fast Action . I'm planning a trip to some far away local lakes coming up soon then i'll be able to test both the Cabelas RLS+ and the Sage VXP . Work and distance has been hindering me right now but I will eventually get there !
Posted By: TioPick

Re: What's best , Large Arbor or Mid Arbor ? up to med to large - 09/28/16 11:40 PM

I had recently bought an Orvis Access IV (at full price) and when I saw the sale ($109) I jumped on a size V as I am looking for a 10 weight rod for. I do like the drag
Posted By: Bruce Mc

Re: What's best , Large Arbor or Mid Arbor ? up to med to large - 09/28/16 11:50 PM

I took advantage of the sale also, I already bought a IV in the store with an extra spool. When the put the sale online I bought a I and a V with extra spools for future projects. A 9wgt and a 3wgt.

Re: What's best , Large Arbor or Mid Arbor ? up to med to large - 09/29/16 06:01 PM

I'm planning to test my Orvis Friday , and also my Cabelas RLS+ combo . The Orvis is on a SAGE VXP , both rods are 9' and 5wt with floating lines . I'll get back this weekend after I test them .

Re: What's best , Large Arbor or Mid Arbor ? up to med to large - 09/30/16 01:06 AM

Are you testing them out by doing some fishing? If so good luck.

Re: What's best , Large Arbor or Mid Arbor ? up to med to large - 09/30/16 02:33 PM

Are you testing them out by doing some fishing? If so good luck.

YESSIR !!

Re: What's best , Large Arbor or Mid Arbor ? up to med to large - 10/01/16 01:01 AM

What I can say is Colorado City state park has no fish !! They told me at the gate only catfish from bank were caught recently . Me and wife tried anyway . Turtle's , yes , minnows yes, panfish .... None, zilch , nothing frown. . I did test both rod setups . The Cabela's RLS+ won . Large arbor better for sure but the Access was OK but more work reeling . The Sage rod I think I need more practice . Definitely a different feel from the RLS+ . I got use to the Cabela's much easier with longer throws up to about 35-40 yds when the wind was right . The Sage I did good to get 25 if I was lucky frown . However i don't think my little fish excursion was really a good try out especially since I didn't even get a nibble . Used a top water popper and a chartreuse clouser . Nothing !! Maybe next time somewhere else it will be better and I'll have more practice in . I'm real rusty since it's been so long . Didn't even get bites on a casting rod and reel frown .
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum